The Empty Nest Discussion Thread

Mr. Vixen

• Members

Since the show is returning into syndication on Hallmark, I thought it was time to start a thread!

Any fans of the show here? Any specific reason?

Here are my thoughts...

I love the show! Obviously the first four seasons are probably the best, with the original cast. I loved Kristy McNichol, and I was very sad when she left. I didn't enjoy season 4 that much, as the "other sister" Emily got on my nerves. Thank God they canned her.....I did however love seasons 6 and 7 because Estelle Getty joined the cast.

Park Overall was a comic genius and I still can't believe she never did more after the show ended. She is so FUNNY!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I watched some of it yesterday and liked it. Definitely not up there with The Golden Girls, but it was only the first season, so I'll keep watching whenever it comes on regularly.

Park Overall was my favorite part of the whole show...I still don't understand why they dumped her after only a few episodes on "Reba."

• Members

I watched this show so much as a kid. I was borderline obsessed with it I think. (Between that one, Full House, and Perfect Strangers, I was obsessed with sitcoms in general)

I remember being about 4 and my mom buying me a stuffed dog for some reason that looked like Dreyfuss. So, I named it that. Still have it to this day and had to have it setting by me when I watched the marathon yesterday. I felt like a kid again. So amazing! :wub:

When I watching at a child I only remember Kristy McNichol in one season I watched. Well, actually 1 1/2 seasons (She left in the middle of season 5) But, it was a better show with her on it. The comedy kinda slipped when she left cause they couldn't play off Barbara's cop career anymore or the fights between her and Carol. So, it got kinda bland.

On the subject of Laverne. OMG. She was hilarious. That accent. Those stories. It was so funny how she even mentioned that people were married to their cousins in her town. :lol:

After watching as an adult for the first time yesterday. I can certainly say that I 'get' the show more now. I never noticed as a child how much sexual innuendo it had. Geez. And, Charley's like a living breathing Glen Quagmire. Right down to the hairstyle. Giggity!

• Members

I loved the show when Dinah Manhoff and Kristy Macnichol were there. In many ways I enjoyed it more than GG because GG was lurching towards one-note status. But after Kristy left and they brought the other sister in I quit. The first episode she was in was my last.

• Members

Yes, I remember that one. I think I only watched that one and one other with her on it.

She sucked!

I just remembered while reading IMDb yesterday I missed the series finale. I had to have. Cause, I don't remember it and it aired 4/29/95. That was the weekend after my dad died and I was in Texas at my aunt's and she didn't have a TV (I'm dead serious...who didn't have a TV in the mid 90s besides her). Probably would have cheered me the eff up to have watched it that weekend. So, I know I missed it. I hope Hallmark airs it sometime.

• Members

I wonder if they'll ever put Nurses into syndication.

Hallmark should try to recapture the NBC Saturday Night spark

Saturday Nights:

9 PM: Nurses

930 PM: Nurses

10 PM: Empty Nest

1030 PM: Empty Nest

11PM - 1AM: Golden Girls

I know I'd watch!

• Members

They need to can this Frasier idea.

Go with 227, Mama's Family, Golden Girls, Empty Nest, Nurses, Who's the Boss, The Cosby Show.

Keep Little House on the Prarie in the mornings.

I think if they continue to strengthen up their syndicated programming, they could successfully launch some original stuff.

Archived