February 7-11, 2011

Toups

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow. 0.8's in key demos for AMC and BB - during sweeps! And what sucks for the ABC soaps is that Friday's repeat episode did nothing but remind viewers how great their soaps once was!

This question really doesn't belong here, but could someone who watches BB explain what you guys mean by the show turning into a PSA? I've never really watched the show but it's set in Los Angeles, it's got a fairly young cast and hip vibe to it, it revolves around the fashion industry, and in this day and age of everyone having ADD, the show is only 30 mins. I would think this would all add up to big ratings in 18-49.

• Members

I've seen a lot of complaints about B&B turning into a PSA. IMO, this is a case of a show straying too far from it's brand. B&B has always seemed to be about glamour and a certain level of frivolousness. It's supposed to be about the fashion industry with it's pretty clothes, whorish women and stupid men not homelessness and cancer. It's not a show that has much room for a social conscience and clearly that's not what their viewers tune in to see.

Those stories belong on AMC. That's a show that was built on issue stories.

• Members

I think what were slowly starting to see now is that OLTL is growing their audience. Their way from they were in September when the show starting hitting on all cylinders. Now their the top soap on ABC. The key for OLTL is to continue doing what their doing and this time next year their going to be back over 3 million viewers everyday day of the week.

Again for AMC even though their show is a little better they still need a lot work and need to read the book on how to grow like OLTL has. GH seems to be pretty stable right now as they’ve really stopped their bad bleeding that they had in 2010.

DAYS is a bit down this week but up until this week they were one of the strongest soaps. If DAYS can get back in the ball game here they might finally catch B&B for second place.

CBS’ soaps had a very weak week after a couple of strong weeks due to the snow but I think that was expected. B&B has had some horrible storylines lately and its finally catching up with them. They need to get back to basics on that show but at least my girl Steffy is back!

• Members

B&B had some issue stories early on, but you're right. The problem is that Brad Bell can't do glamour, and with a few exceptions, he consistently fails at bringing in new characters, yet he also has little idea of what to do with the old characters, like Brooke (or the many who have gone by the wayside, like Thorne or Felicia or the Spectras or Eric). I think all the bad PSA stories Brad Bell has done over the years are just a way to try to ignore the show itself.

• Members

I think social issues stories can have a place on B&B but they can't be written so heavily handed & be a minor part of the show. For a while it seemed the homeless story just took over the show. AS for the younger cast, I like Liam & NuThomas, but most of the time younger set don't get stories that are any interesting and certainly no "hip vibe". Part of the problem, for me, is lack of a good business storyline. A good deal of the people watch the show to see the Forrester's get knocked down. It's been a while since Bill has made a real play for Forrester Creations, and Jackie M, for being a competitor, is too damn friendly with the Forrester Creations. There's no drama. I remember back in the day I'd almost always root for Sally Spectra against the Forresters. I think a part of the show died when Darlene Conley died. The Jackie M clan bore me to tears, Brad needs to somehow bring the Spectra-element back into the show.

• Members

This most recent week for CBS rankings just echoes what I for 1, have felt for a few years now!! B&B has not been true to its core for a lonnnnnggggg time now. It looks like a haphazard, never well-executed show on any day of the week. Meaning, gone is the 'stamp' of flair pinache & the 'IT' factor that Bold did have going for it for almost 2 decades. Where is the deep rooted scenes based on its roots & stellar past? I don't know or care to know Liam, Owen, Steffy, Nu Thomas, Nick (wtf happened to his fire?) Jackie seems like a joke too. If it weren't for the Forrester Manse scenes I would never ever watch the show at all! TPTB need to slow it down, bring it back to its core & utilize the glamour aspect that has always always beenn B&B! I am surprised it does better than AMC these days.

• Members

Not going to happen.

And I would hardly call OLTL ABC's top soap. GH will be ahead next week, OLTL just had a better sweeps planned and managed to cling on to more viewers than the others. Still congrats to them on those Wednesday/Thursday numbers. :)

• Members

Who cares how a rerun performed? And they did manage to cling on to more viewers than some other soaps and not to mention it rose in viewers every day of the week up until the rerun, which is obviously because of the Jessica/Natalie/Rex DNA reveals.

• Members

I agree with Eric. I was shocked that the show retained as much as it did. And I also agree that OLTL will not hold this level of viewers. It never does. I would say that OLTL has the largest amount of casual viewers who tune in when the show looks good and tune right out again. GH will remain ABC's consistent #1 soap until its over. Even if its not by much. If AMC gets it s-it together I wouldn't count them out either. Those demos seem impossible though. But AMC has potential with viewer numbers.

Oh, regarding B&B- That show is so hard up for emmy recognition (Mr. Bell really needs to chill out with these emmy bait episodes) due to the years and years as being looked at as the "fluff soap" and sometimes being called daytime's worst soap. He took a page out of JFP's book. I loved B&B in the old days. I will say that I enjoyed Stephanie's cancer storyline but it abruptly shifted, and B&B simply has the worst cast/ weakest characters in daytime. I just don't care about 80% of these people. But the 30 minute thing does limit character development. And damn I simply miss Darlene Conley. She gave a much needed depth and comedic edge to this wafer thin show. Or a damn good villian would be nice. I have said it before but this show would be nothing today if it wasn't for Sheila.

Archived