JFP celebrates 10 years at GH.

• Members

On November 2000, JFP was named new executive producer of GH and therefore she celebrates 10 years in Port Charles. She also celebrates 13 years at ABC daytime. What is the secret to this woman's longevity in the business. She has consistently worked in daytime for over 30 years without any real unemployment. I think its because she knows how to play the game. Jill is the master at knowing whose ass to kiss and how to play the politics game. I heard though that JFP can be your best friend or the WORST BITCH U EVER ENCOUNTERED AND ITS NOT PRETTY. I just wonder how she continues to keep a job for years and years.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GET WELL JEAN GUZA!

In my dreams, JFP is the kind of gal who owns the fact that she can be an absolute bitch at times. She doesn't explain, doesn't complain and never apologizes. She has enough friends and enemies in this business to demonstrate, at least to me, that she's got a vision and the balls to see her vision executed. You don't get where she is without stepping on a few toes. For all her mistakes, all her detractors, I can't help but actually like JFP. She just is who she is.

• Members

I actually think she has a fear of expressing herself and overcompensates that and hides it by being mean, nasty and b!tchy. That's easy: everyone can be b!tchy. But rising above it and actually be known for some other traits... That's something else.

• Members

A heartfelt congratulations to Jill Farren Phelps, one of my favorite EPs of all-time. To me, the secret to her longevity is that she's a very talented producer, has a creative mind, has a strong sense of business, and she 'gets' soap opera. Frankly, I think the writers she's been paired with on GH for all these years has been a much larger part of the problem than she herself. It's like the opposite of AMC- I've LONG felt the real problem over there is Julie Hanan Carruthers, yet somehow, the writers are the ones who always get the blame (it's happening AGAIN with the current regime, 2 writers who are talented, especially Swajeski IMO).

Jill is also the ONLY EP in all of daytime that I will follow from show to show- I like how she does daytime drama and like her or not, she knows how to create actual involving DRAMA on her shows. I had turned OLTL off in 1996 and turned it back on shortly after she arrived. While I could understand the long-time OLTL fans complaints, as a long-time soap viewer, I was enthralled with what she was producing over there. I had even watched her on AW and, while still having been a long time fan of that show, enjoyed her tenure there for the mostpart.

Santa Barbara and Guiding Light will always be the jewels in her crown but the lady has talent and has produced some of the best daytime drama of my time. And guess what? A vast majority of the FOJs are, ya know, GOOD ACTORS!

So congratulations to you JFP! Honestly, and I know I'm gonna get shot for this, but I'd like to see what she could do over at Y&R or even DAYS (though I'm pretty happy with their regime right now- how we didn't think of Gary Tomlin as a perfect fit sooner is beyond me).

• Members

Were you watching OLTL during her tenure :lol:

Congratulations to JFP. I'm still a little surprised sometimes at how her tenure on soaps ended -- just having to go along with Guza and Frons. I imagine she probably agrees with them on a lot of ideas anyway, and has a great deal of control we don't know about, but I do miss the old, controversial, love/hate Jill.

I hope she can find some work outside of GH. She is very good visually and with atmosphere. I think if anyone could make websoaps work - if they continue to try to be visual and focus on production values - it's her.

Archived