30 years ago today

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dallas was my 1st soap, my 1st real soap (not counting SOAP) . I was just shocked to read it was the 30 anniversary, because I remember being hooked like it was yesterday. I don't think there were season cliffhangers before Dallas. Shows just ended their year with episodes like any other. Now, every show it seems has a hook to make you come back.

• Members

I did, too! :lol:

Aaaaaah... Who Shot J.R.? God, all of Season 3 (per DVD count), including that cliffhanger, was just brilliant. The resolution perhaps not so much, but still an awesome, unforgettable moment in TV (and soap) history.

• Members

IMO, "Who Shot J.R.?" was an interesting premise that also was at least five years too early. What good is shooting and possibly killing a man, after all, if (again, IMO) what he did in the years following the incident was far more deserving of the bullet(s) than what he did before? Yes, the shooting brought the show into the public consciousness, but so could have any number of jaw-dropping cliffhangers.

Furthermore, I felt the resolution was weak for two reasons: 1) the culprit should've been someone much, much more integral to the show than Kristin; and 2) the fallout was practically nonexistent. What should have fueled an entire season's worth of story, replete w/ courtroom trials, big revelations and massive shake-ups both within Ewing Oil and at Southfork Ranch, ended up being resolved and forgotten in a half-dozen episodes. That isn't how you do soap opera, if you ask me.

Archived