Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Thanks for sharing the 1989 eps! The Jack & Jill office scenes were hilarious and so was the Lauren/Joanna interaction. I didn't realize Chase and Lauren had ever gone on a date.

The Jessica humiliation seemed rather awkward but was very sad as reality as late '80s AIDS hysteria was at its peak. Even sadder in retrospect was John talking to Terry Lester's Jack about it. 

Purse swinging Brittany was just another notch in Jack's belt and after that isolated to the George Rawlins mystery. She was in real life later married to rock star Chris Squire and I believe she reappeared as the pesky socialite Agnes that irked Nikki and Sharon in 2003. 

Chase could have been easily kept around but he was replaced by Ryan. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yeah, Cricket ate the show in the late 1980s. That era also coincided with the departures of Brenda Dickson, Eileen Davidson, and Terry Lester.

I know Brenda and Terry were quite vocal about the nepotism. Eileen not so much, but I've always suspected that's the reason she left the first time.

• Members

This is most of a 1998 episode. The bit before the opening credits is mostly not there. It runs about 5-10 minutes after the closing credits. I didn't want to edit because many tell me it makes everything go out of sync. 

• Members

I have to wonder what if Terry Lester had never left Y&R. I'd figure the '90s rivalry between Victor and Lester's Jack would have been very equal or maybe it would have been more of a friendly rivalry with tons of memorable sarcasm more akin to Sally and Stephanie on B&B

Sure Lester spoke up on Cricket dominating the show, but given he was so universally panned on Santa Barbara as Lane Davies' replacement  that he was quickly replaced with Dynasty's Gordon Thompson and then ended up as the memorable but quickly forgotten Royce on ATWT I have to wonder if Lester should have spoken out against Y&R. Ideally I suppose we would have seen Lester and Braeden gone toe to toe on equal footing and given Lester passed away in 2003 the show would have probably let Jack Abbott die leading not only Victor to eulogize his old arch nemesis but play against type as well. 

• Members

Your welcome! these particular ones were a lot of fun!

Please register in order to view this content

Getting to see more Jess and Lester scenes is always a highlight! It's funny cause I just read your comments about how Lester would have faired into playing Jack into the 90's and being more of Victor's equal....based on the way Jack leads Jill on about her campaign and then pulls the rug out from under her with the knowledge that it was really Chase's idea....seemed more of Victor's tactic in later years...so I think in many cases Lester's Jack was even to Victor in that regard.

I also loved Jill's tongue lashing at David.....it's so interesting how they slowly built up David from being Jill's supposedly smooth, but seemingly loyal secretary to the conniving psycho he really was....you don't see that type of unsuspecting built up with any soap characters anymore...Jess still also has a tint of Brenda left in her scenes.

I read that Lauren and Chase had a brief flirtation, but it ended once Jack busted Lauren for lying to Chase about her actually being THE Lauren Fenmore......I guess this was biding Lauren's time, chem testing her with different men, until they succeeded with Scott......I guess they thought Lauren and Chase didn't have much chemistry but it was interesting to see them together....

I actually miss those type of scenes where characters were berated in pubic for something going on with them.....before social media, this was basically how people showed their unsolicited opinions.......This scene was a bit OTT for my taste, but your right it did ring true to what was going on in the AIDS hysteria.....I did kind of like that snobby satisfactory look the woman gives as John and Jessica leave.....that woman was a bitch, but the look was dead on.

This earlier version of Brittany seems a lot more fun then some of the later scenes of her....I feel like she was a character that could have been better developed but Bell didn't know what to really do with her, minus a brief flirtation and crush on Paul, then basically being the supporting confidant/side detective in  George's murder...
Oh I think Melissa Morgan appeared during the 2003 Gala....I will have to find the scenes.....It's strange they brought her back as a different character, as I think they could have just said it was still Brittany....but I guess for some reason even after having two Johns on the show for years, they didn't want two characters named "Brittany" 

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

I remember liking Brittany back then. I was in school then and only caught the show on breaks and summer vacation. I was at home watching when all the Paul/Cassandra/Adrian stuff went down and Bug's date rape storyline. I remember Terry's departure and the backlash against the Bells about nepotism. Chase, Brittany, and Cassandra should have been kept, but Bill Bell always had those characters he didn't know what to do with like Brock, Peggy Brooks, Greg Foster, Casey Reed, Carol, Skip etc...

Melissa Morgan Squire (ex Brittany) has posted her scenes from Y&R on her youtube page. 

• Members

Thank you guys for the episodes you've posted!

Please register in order to view this content

Watching those carefully written business scenes, I have to wonder: did Bill Bell have a special consultant for his business storylines? The dialogue sounded so realistic, as if someone from the business world was part of the writing team. You don't see that much accuracy in writing anymore. Does anyone have any insight on that?

• Members

Lester's Jack could indeed be downright NASTY as opposed to Bergman's Jack's just being simply smug and smarmy.  It's the same Jack that had torrid affairs (Diane, Jill, Nikki). blackmailed Ashley, and was the brains behind writing Ruthless. I could just imagine TL's Jack having a some type of dark comic line as he step's over Victor having a heart attack in '92 or his Jack even going so far as to flirt with Hope just to piss Victor off. 

As much as I love Brenda Epperson to say this but could you imagine the hell that would have happened if TL's Jack wed Nikki out of revenge for Newman taking over Jabot while Victor got the chance to marry ED's Ashley? 

Seeing Lester and Jess is a lot fun! PB & JW had a lot of memorable moments in late 1997/early 1998 when they were being tested/teased and I can't remember if Jack and Jill actually had a one night stand together or not ( @DeeeDee help me out!) other than Jill just causally walking into Jack's office asking for sex while Jack was interested but hesitated and the two recounted the entire history between the two of them from the cabin in 1983 straight to Victor's shooting in '96.