Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Because 1) the success of those kinds of "new" characters depends on a level of writing that no longer exists in daytime, 2) that level of care isn't even afforded to Y&R's current cast. Many of whom were responsible for taking Y&R to #1 and/or keeping it there and 3) the characters from the past they suggested are extremely limited in comparison to the effort it would take to establish them.

Notice, however, I did not disagree with bringing Olivia, Nate, Heather, Chance, Scotty, Fen or Joanna back. All characters who should have never left in the first place.

A swing and a miss.

Edited by DeeeDee

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

As I just have a handful of episodes that YRfan23, days22, and others haven't already shared, and I realized it's obtrusive to ask people for their e-mail address, I've decided to just try to upload them as "unlisted" and see if they stick. This one is probably past the point many of you may see as "classic" Y&R (it is for me a bit as well), but I thought you still might enjoy it, especially as it opens with an absolutely hilarious scene. 

• Members

Thanks, Carl!

I think anything up to 2003 can be considered classic Y&R (although I can understand the appeal for anything pre-mid 90s and definitely the 80s) so this is great. 

Scott Reeves' body is something else.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

It's so funny. I was going to say it didn't seem like what Bell would have done but then I remembered the ones with Veronica/Sarah and in earlier years with Jill fantasizing about Katherine's murder - maybe I'm just not used to seeing them be in this form. 

• Members

I still think the most bizarre fantasies were David's about Killing Nina and Cricket, and the rats eating them...You'd figure something like that would be seen on DOOL or Passions but not Y&R...only thing was that they made it seem more serious and horrifying, then the campy humor JER would do...

• Members

I guess that's the side of Bell's writing that wasn't around as much in later years, that was there with stuff like Suzanne's gaslighting. I know that story apparently wasn't any good but I'd still like to see it...

Or the Eve insanity. 

• Members

At least its fans are lucky that this show only started to die long after many other soaps were already on life support.

No one loved Bill Bell's work (overall) than I did, but even as a master of the medium, he made some painful boo-boos. The Suzanne Lynch story was just...embarrassing.

• Members

I know, but overall I feel like (IMO) soaps were mostly still entertaining at least till 2005-2006.....even if most of them were off the rails at that point.....something just happen the following year in 2007, and that's when it became apparent that they didn't think soaps were worth staying on air....it started with Passions, and just kept getting smaller each year until we have the 4 remaining now...