Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Given the review of old soap news that @will81 posted a while back,  I think we often underestimate the power of The Price is Right and its expansion to a full hour, especially pre-cable when most homes would leave their TV on one channel all day. 

Equally, I think we over estimate the appeal of single storylines to effect ratings.   In my own experience, a single plot is not enough for me to tune into a new soap once my viewing pattern has been established, but I might tune back into a soap that I lost interest in if the story seems provocative.  So, I don't think a smattering of commercials of Brad in cage is enough to lure new viewers, but it might make established fans tune in more often.

Edited by j swift

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I  liked 1990 in that it set the stage for future stories, with Sheila, Drucilla and Olivia's introductions. Plus, the year had three solid plots ongoing: The George Rawlins murder, the start of David Kimble & Nina, and the Katherine/Marge doppleganger story.

The problem with todays show is that the stories are dry, too down to earth and lack imagination. The creativity behind Sheila switching babies or posing as a book author to Lauren's son, or even David Kimbles intricate plot to murder Nina cannot be found (or would be poorly written) on the modern show.

Old Y&R's strength is that it could be down to earth and have exciting camp. For example, while the baby switch story could be considered over the top, we got really relaistic small moments like Lauren calling the insurance company to to set up a scheme so she could obtain the baby's blood to perform a paternity test against Scott, or even Sheila's mom's speech therapy after her stroke. 

• Members

1989 was a transition year for Y & R and I do agree that most of the female cast were not front and center.

Ashley had been recast so the show probably wanted audiences to accept her while they figured out how to write Ashley with BE in the part.

Nina/Jill/Katherine were affected by the actor playing Philip having to leave the show quickly..which probably threw off story that was being planned.  So all 3 were being tried out in different stories (Marge, David Kimball, etc).  I also wonder if maybe Jill was originally intended for the Kimball story because he had been wooing her before Phillip was killed off.  And maybe Bill Bell figured Nina would make sense so he shifted it so David Kimball started pursuing her once she inherited money. 

Lauren..I think was being paired with Scott so the show was setting that up.

Traci was coming and going in 1989 after the whole Brad/Lisa story.

As for Cassandra... she was the perfect 40s film noir character.  She wasn't all good nor all bad so she could fit in anywhere she was needed. Her death in early 1991 was unexpected..as she was going to meet Paul after getting her divorce from Brad.

I do think her tricking Brad into marriage made no sense..and it would have made more sense if she had tricked Victor based on past history between them....and would have meant more Nikki/Paul interactions.

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

Thanks for posting - I enjoyed it! It helped that there was no Shick

Please register in order to view this content

This was a transitional time where there was still some interesting plot movement. In another month or so, everything grinds to a halt. I’d say Kurt saving Ashley from the attackers around Thanksgiving is the beginning of the boring era.

• Members

Is it just me or was the Ashley in the park/woods scene a dust off of Ashley wandering the rainy streets in 1985?

Fall 1996 through the first half of 1997 was a lull. Thankfully things picked up in the second half of 1997 to lead into an excellent 25th anniversary year 1998.

• Members

Thanks for keeping up with the unlisted stuff! There's a clip of this date in those "Brad in the cage" clips that used to be on YouTube, but the clip in the Vault is 9:55 and this is 19:45. Maybe @YRfan23 can figure out if this is new material or if part of it is a different episode.

By the way, I'm uploading a bunch of promos from 1986-1989 in the Clips section of the Vault. They come from the big compilations on YouTube, so I'm not going to post them on my channel out of respect to the original uploader. 

• Members

I'm pretty sure there's some new stuff. I've definitely never seen Lauren’s sly move of putting on the ski mask... felt like something that would happen on Scooby-Doo 

Please register in order to view this content

This was a good ep.  Even though I already know how the Lisa/Brad story resolves, it still felt quite tense.

The Nikki/Victor/Leanna scenes were spiky and fun! Nikki knows she’s carrying the cards and is enjoying torturing Leanna. I didn’t realize that Victor and Leanna already knew that the marriage was invalid. So I guess they decided to stay together and wait until the 6-month divorce waiting period is over.

Ugh Nikki used my least favorite term ever “Heir Apparent”  Doesn’t she know that only Jack can ever be the heir apparent? Bill Bell really loved to bust that phrase out at any opportunity.

Cassandra seems more of a straightforward tragic heroine here. I think the writers had no idea who George’s killer would be, and hadn’t even invented the character of Adrian yet.

Hmmm the Jill/Nina scene at the end… is that from the same ep? I’m almost wondering if it’s from 1987? That’s the only time I can remember them being in cahoots like that… and it’s implied that Nina is still working at Jabot…?