DAYS: November Discussion Thread

• Members

Mm-hmm.

Personally, I think Days has a higher than normal percentage of idiot viewers (in comparison to other soaps and other shows in general) but that doesn't mean I think every person who watches it is a moron. I've said that over and over and over in this thread so I don't understand why everyone's getting their knickers in a twist.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And that's what a stereotype is, right - a discernible group that you can objectify and thus easily dismiss. They exist for sure. In fact every now and again I will sit on the sofa, eat bonbons and watch soap operas just to say I did it (I also danced barefoot in the kitchen while pregnant, lol). But I think the dawn of the internet chats and soaps/SciFi having their "cool" era in pop culture has changed the visible face of the viewership in public perception.

No one is suggesting soaps are Shakespeare or Ibsen. BUT many viewers do know who Shakespeare and Ibsen were.

• Members

When these shows were good, yes. It took a certain kind of person to appreciate the complexities of the storytelling. However, these shows are no longer complex and well-written. Daytime has been dumbed down. Everything has been simplified to appeal to the lowest common denominator. The writers and producers want to be able to attract any idiot so they write for any idiot.

It takes about half a brain to follow Days.

Disclaimer: That doesn't mean that intelligent people aren't also watching.

I know, I know. I apologize.

In retrospect, I was completely wrong. I don't know what I was thinking.

• Members

Okay, THAT'S IT!

This thread has gone completely off-topic. I vote we discuss taking donations for a Victor and Maggie down comforter/bedsheets from Neiman Marcus so we can send them to the studio and DEMAND a love scene for Magic!

And all you fierce Days bitches, be sure to send in a pirated copy of Olivia Newton John's "Magic" to Ken so he'll get the message!

• Members

LOL…. fat chance. When DanLu did their risque thing in May, the US stations apparently blurred the screen where her nipple appeared to be exposed. Canadian stations didn't, incidentally, and a long discussion was had about was it or wasn't it, and can we see the Cdn. version, SVP.

• Members

LOL @ Chloe. Love NB, but she was all kinds of bad today! But not the kind of bad where I cringe watching, the kind where I'm LMBO while watching. Wow! That mixed with Molly Burnett reacting to it all laugh.gif loved her facial expressions & everything she was saying to Chloe today. Hilarious scenes with them today.

Nicole ;-). Love her, this is awesome that she has the evidence. Her love for Sydney is what's driving her. I'm glad she didn't put the tape on the 6 o'clock news, that would have been a mistake. Looking forward to her scenes tomorrow with Sami!

It's hard watching Maggie in that coffin....and Vivian all of a sudden has a heart now?? Please no...as much as I hate watching Maggie in the coffin, I do not want Vivian to go soft on her!

• Members

^^ I don't think it's a matter of Vivi getting a heart, I think it's her realization that in her mind Maggie is child's play and not worthy of her efforts. I can't see Viv going soft on Maggie any more than on Kate, Carly or Melanie. Once you are in her category of "Female who Needs to be Destroyed", I doubt you ever leave it.

• Members

Exactly. Vivian's plan was crazy from the getgo. This is the type of thing you do to a Kate or a Stephano. Maggie? Did she really have to go through all this trouble to get rid of Maggie? I think Vivian realized how it was a waste of her time. She was like a high schooler picking on a 3rd grader. Maggie is not on her level bc she doesnt play dirty and she isnt a threat. Vivian put in way too much effort when it wasnt needed. Maggie is not a foe worthy of such trouble

I was just laughing though when she convinced Victor not to open the sarcophagus and he listened. That should have been the first clue something was up

• Members

Today's ep was a lot of fun. Vivian's digs to/about Maggie crack me up. And I totally didn't see it coming that Nicole would wind up with THE PROOF against Sami. (Can we please say "the proof" 800 more times a day, please? I'm reminded of 2001 and "the tape!")

To touch on the earlier debate: I actually take issue with the idea that this is a dumbed-down version of Days. To me, a soap is like a neverending game of chess, and a lot of the fun of viewing is seeing how the pieces will be arranged next. Under this current regime, I find that I'm constantly surprised and impressed by how they're moved, where people land, and how one story flows into another. Similarly, I appreciate the way the cast interacts pretty universally (Sami excepted, which is so weird to me). I loved how Maggie and Nicole had random scenes together the week before last. I love that Brady seamlessly moved between the Victor/Vivian and Sami/Rafe/EJ stuff within two scenes today. Remember when it was so exciting when they'd actually put Marlena and Belle or Sami in scenes together? Now there are all sorts of fun, surprising interactions. Sure, it is not the most sophisticated thing ever written, but I enjoy this version of the show much, much more than I did most of 2003-2008. The aftermath of Arianna's death--and this is a character who never really worked and who few of us will ever miss--has been more fleshed out than any of the SSK deaths or pretty much any character death since then, except maybe John's in 2007-08 (or, um, Alice, but that's a special case).

That said, I don't read any non-casting spoilers, and I find it's helped me get back to the fun of watching soaps: to see what happens next. I'm watching almost every day, and it rarely, if ever, feels obligatory. I set my DVR on a day-to-day basis because I'm looking forward to what comes next. I didn't expect Maggie to wind up in the sarcophagus after Vivian, I didn't expect Arianna to die after getting "the proof" (except that I knew LH was leaving), I didn't see Chloe going into labor at the cabin like this. It's a fun show, I wonder what's going to happen tomorrow, and I get enough references to the past to keep me smiling on a regular basis. Honestly, that's all I want from a soap. Is it the most sophisticated thing on the air? Nope. Is it as intricate and psychological as, say, Lemay's AW? Nah. But this is the most consistently enjoyable version of Days for ME since at least 2002, and I don't consider myself someone who can only handle Overly Simplistic Programming.

Archived