DAYS: November Discussion Thread

• Members

By the way, I completely understand that the show doesn't have to be "smart" to be entertaining. As a huge Reilly fan (pre-Passions), I wouldn't dare suggest that.

However, the show in its current state is neither smart or entertaining. It's just a mess. And it's ugly.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that 2003-2006 (i.e. Reilly's second era) was the epitome of Soap Opera for Dummies.... and amnesiacs. Because he rehashed everything to the point that people were literally having the same conversation day after day after day... oy, when I think of that endless Phillip/Belle/Shawn/Mimi story in their damn lofts...

Guiding Light in the early 90's. So I've heard. When I started watching, it had already been dumbed down ;)

• Members

[quote name='Kennylicious' date='10 November 2010

Just because I think most people who watch this show are idiots doesn't mean I think YOU are an idiot. I don't know you well enough to make that declaration, so there's no need to get defensive. :)

so, you don't know the posters here well enough to call them an idiot with a lower iq than 12, but u do know that MOST days fans are. Interesting. How is that so?

It would be one thing if you were just stating your opinion, not that you have room to judge in taste levels (big brother?!). But it doesn't matter. Because your opinion isn't fact, as your selling it.

Am I offended? Yes. I am. Not so much for me, I'm not very bright and I know this, however my friends like Cat, DaytimeFan, and the various others I have gotten to know over years who are very bright and well off in life enjoy the show. There is nothing wrong with that, and your trying to state there is.

This is a tv show. It's job is to entertain. It will do that for some, but not others. You use to be one when others hated it. You use to defend it when others hushed it. It's the same thing now except you do not enjoy it.

• Members

Aside from the appropriate retraction of "us" all being idiots (which I do appreciate, as does my Masters degree) I do have to ask, why are you even bothering with this? It's apparent you have little respect for soap viewers in general, and while I think some are really OTT in their adoration of the actors, I'd hardly call any of them the "lowest common denominator".

I've long equated Soap fans with SciFi and Sports fans. We are the most passionate fans going. For example, as a local Torontonian, I can tell you this city is wildly passionate about the Maple Leaf hockey team. Now they haven't been close enough to Lord Stanley's Cup in more years than I can count, and yet their fanbase is loyal. That's what soap watches are: loyal. We've seen the ups and downs, we're cried and screamed, we've been impressed and been disgusting. NONE of that is a reflection on the intelligence of the fans. NONE.

• Members

Kenny is someone who, on this board and others, proclaimed his love for DAYS and soaps for years. He's not some snooty know-it-all type who sh*ts on DAYS for his own amusement. He loves the show and wishes it were better.

I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one who thinks DAYS just isn't all that.

The only thing that is marginally intriguing on this show is that Melanie knows Daniel might not be Chloe's baby's father, but she doesn't know her husband, Phillip, might be. Other than that, this show is just cheap and bad.

No one expects DAYS or any other soap to be some Pulitzer Prize winning example, but God...it's like Dena doesn't even try.

• Members

I'm just going by what I see on most message boards. Not this one, but others that I've previously mentioned in this thread. For every one idiotic/psychotic Days fan who posts on the internet, I'm sure there are ten more who don't post. And yes... a good majority of them seem a little unbalanced.

My opinion is fact to me. I don't expect anyone else to take it as the gospel.

I shouldn't have to preface every sentence I type with "IMO" just for people to know that I'm speaking for myself. That should be a given.

I never said they weren't.

Like I said before, I don't know them well enough to make that declaration.

Allow me to clarify my statements once again because I feel like I'm being misunderstood here...

When I say that most Days fans are idiots, I'm not talking about everyone. I'm talking about the lunatics you see bickering with each other and sending death threats because so-and-so doesn't like their favorite couple. I'm talking about the morons at boards like SoapCity, SoapCentral, Forbidden Love, etc. who barely know how to string a full sentence together because they're so illiterate. I'm talking about the people who take food out of their children's mouths so they can send meaningless crap ("Yay! A new campaign!") to the actors and the magazines to show unappreciated support for their favorite boring couple. I'm talking about the psychos who harass the actors on Twitter for the most idiotic reasons imaginable ("How dare you kiss CC! That whore! What would Kristian think?!"). I'm talking about that stupid chick who cried like her mother just died at the Day of Days event when the moderator gave her a chance to address the panel. I'm talking about the crazies. The cuckoos. The IDIOTS.

I'm not calling anyone here an idiot.

Just because Days is a "simple soap" doesn't mean that everyone who watches it is a simpleton. However, I am saying that because it's so bare-bones and simplistic ("Soap Opera for Dummies") that it attracts a higher ratio of idiotic viewers than a show like, say, Mad Men... or something else that's more complex and well-written.

• Members

but do you really think most Days viewers are lunatics? Im sure they do exist as they do for every soap but they ar a very SMALL vocal minority. Days has abou 2.4 million viewers. I doubt that the majority of that audience composes of the idiots you are referring to

• Members

Good comparison. And each passionate fanbase have stereotypes attached to them (well, sports fans in general, not so much since it covers such a broad group, but when you talk about specific locales supporting local college teams and such, then yes).

SciFi fans are nerdy geeks with glasses who've never had sex. Soap fans are either really old grammas who don't know how to work a computer, or fat country bumpkins who voted for Pali--- oh, nevermind, let's not get political here. ;)

And like all stereotypes, there are a sizeable portion who DO fit the bill. But certainly not everybody.

• Members

Aww, thanks!

You're completely right.

I love Days and I love daytime. I just don't like what it's become.

Do I question the taste of the people who are still enjoying it? Yes I do. Is that wrong of me? I don't know. I would have the same reaction if I walked outside and found a group of people admiring a pile of dog poo in the grass. Who wouldn't question that?

To me, Days is equal to a pile of dog poo. It's so indescribably bad that I just can't fathom why anyone would like it. But some people do... and that's fine. Different people have different tastes, and just because I think someone has questionable taste doesn't mean I think they're an idiot. The idiot thing (as previously debated) is a separate issue altogether.

• Members

I read an interesting break down a few years back about the socioeconomic level of fans and their general education - the pool was the online viewers and I recall the questionnaire was very in-depth. I participated and it included income level, education level, longevity as a viewer, profession, family of origin, etc.

General Hospital pulls the highest income level and education level, including doctors, lawyers, professors, etc.

Y&R was at the bottom of the list. Days was closer to the top if I recall, and the rest fell in between.

I think it's a huge misconception that fans of soap operas are less than discerning or intelligent - heaven knows I've faced that stereotype a few time. Of course there are always fans who cut cross the spectrum, but in general it takes quite a developed imagination to appreciate all the permutations and connections required to follow these shows.

Archived