A new writer can infuse Daytime with energy

• Members

^^ But then that example truly begs the question - is it a matter of changing writers or are the structures in the hierarchy too rigid to allow anything to change?

It's not just a daytime thing, it's a TV thing in general that everyone is so scared of the losses that no one is taking risks anymore. Gloria Monty wasn't the harbinger of change because she had wonderful ideas, she brought about change because TPTB didn't get in her way. I don't think that's the case anymore.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Change of writers is essential to stop the bleeding but it will never materialize if someone isn't willing to make a change. All it takes is one exec to stand up, re-asses their tired formula, admit it isn't working, has never been working and stand up for something more - something different. Of course with the studio heads blatant non interest in preserving soaps in their mad dash to make Daytime all talk shows and re-runs it's a lost cause. I truly wish someone - anyone - with executive control loved soaps as much as fans do.

• Members

HAHA Exactly (though Claremont's X Men run also opened the genre up to a lot of people who love soaps--his strong examples of women when there weren't many being an example -_- ). Comics have recently lost a lot of audience to manga, and I can't help seeing the soap opera parallel--there was an article about how if someone likes a Japanese anime series, he or she could track down the manga it came from and find a tight, cohesive story (even if told over 21, 200 page volumes like the hit soap opera manga Nana), that reflected what they liked. If, on the other hand, they fell for Spiderman because of the last three movies, they could try to find some volumes of the comic that they liked, that held anything in common with the movie, and probably be lost. I think the average wannabe soap fan would suffer the same fate.

• Members

People.... these are the same execs who had a conniption with Janet Jackson's "Wardrobe Malfunction". They are scared for their hides, and I don't care how progressive you are there is no way you can be open to new movements when you are terrified that you'll loose what you already have.

In Seminary we used to have a saying - "There isn't anything that a couple of well placed deaths won't fix". Morbid? Undoubtedly, but until some of those at the top are removed in a permanent way, there is not going to be willingness to change how things are done. TPTB would rather watch their shows walk to the guillotine than step aside to allow new visions.

• Members

What gets me is that one writer and/or producer cancels out a show then go to another one

tanks that one and just moves right on through...How can you hire personnel that people refused to watch the show he wrote/produced for?

Doesn't make sense.

My issue with soaps is "writing" they refuse to write for the audience of today IA there are elements that comprise a soap opera that the genre is known for but that doesn't mean they cant' redefine (tweak) them to fit an audience of 2010 with a fresh approach and a different outcome. Times have changed many soaps have all that was soapy in 1964 may not all be the same now.

HWbanner.jpg

• Members

Yes, and a little bit unnerving, too. ;-)

All the new writers you could bring into daytime won't mean a damn if you still have the same idiots in charge of the lineups. You want to salvage this genre? Fire Frons. Fire Bloom. Fire...whoever's in charge of NBC Daytime. It won't solve all the problems, but at least it's a start!

Archived