A new writer can infuse Daytime with energy

• Members

Daytime's number one problem is that they refuse to think outside the box and keep recycling the same tired hacks that have brought soaps to new lows. New writers with absolutely no affiliation to Daytime can at the very least - stop the bleeding, at best - ignite a resurgence in the genre. I know this will never happen but I would love to see someone like Shonda Rhimes become a head writer. I think she would be gold on OLTL. She's not afraid to take risks, she embraces diversity and she brings many subjects to the forefront that would otherwise be collecting dust in the back of the closet. Anyone under JJ Abram's school of vision would also be great too. Thoughts?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the soaps should hire more fresh, younger talent to be on their writing teams. And I think that should balance with the writer's who have history with the show & have been around the industry a while. We are seeing way to much of the same story lines on all of these soaps, and while I think we should always have some of those classic type soapy story lines, we also need something new & different to bring to the table and put on our screens. So I think bringing younger talent into the mix and allowing them to put out their ideas, and not just for the younger characters, could do that and things could somewhat evolve. I have a lot of story line ideas that I wish I could implement onto the soaps that I watch.

• Members

The last attempt at getting outside blood that I can recall was Hogan Sheffer and he certainly ran out of steam pretty fast LOL Didn't networks use to run classes for writer's to learn the daytime writing methods? Not only should you entice younger writer's to come onto the writing teams but you should also offer classes on how to properly pace your stories.

• Members

I admit I'mnot a a massive fan, but maybe if she handled the 6 month plot outlines or something, and someone else filled ht edetails and revised it, I'd like the idea more...

I think looking at the world of theatre and novelists, (as was done with Malone and Lemay) is a smart idea actually, as soaps resemble a combo of novels and theatre more than most tv or movies.

I actually think, maybe even more important, is to get fresh blood (and give full power) with new EPs.

• Members

That was the appeal of "Charmed"... Hater! ;)

Speaking of that series: what is showrunner Brad Kern up, too? I think he could actually work in daytime; regardless of how ludicrous Charmed was, the show had a direction and even after several attempts at a final season he managed to come up with some good seasonal themes...

• Members

Back to the original topic: I'm not so much for NEW fresh blood but rather for promoting from within.

The whole redundacy of many saops is that the same writers get recycled over and over. Hence bring their recycled stories with them.

People started a production personnel, writer'S assistants etc - they sometimes actually watch their respective show for years, have great background knowledge and if they have some talent at writing and creativity - give them a shot.

Archived