YRBB

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I respect everything she endured, and achieved. There's no doubt she opened the door for female journalists and her accomplishments are huge. However, there's some very shady [!@#$%^&*] in her past and in the past couple years she has just become rude and unbearable.

• Members

For one, thing, Walters appears to resort (whether as a device or a fallback) to playing both ends against the middle. At one point, she will proudly assert her power as Co-Executive Producer and all that it entails but when sh*t hits the fan, she'll gladly push Bill Gedde to the fore and claim that he and/or ABC came up with the idea as if she doesn't have a say and is just one of the Talent.rolleyes.gif

Take the Rosie/Starr debacle. Starr acted out yes, but had Barbara been more forthcoming about her decision (not just Bill Geddes' or ABC's) to bring on Rosie O'Donnell, perhaps Starr might not have felt that she had to fire parting shots on her way out with no notice. Barbara knew the tension between between the two women ever since the Pilates/Lap Band surgery incident and instead of just telling Starr upfront that she made an Executive Decision, along with Gedde & ABC and they wanted to spice up the show and probably felt that the show would benefit because of that tension (because hey, that's 'show business'), they sprung it on her and Barbara didn't want to 'dirty' her hands, leaving it in Bill Gedde's and the network's hands.

Starr wasn't buying it and put Barbara on blast. Was it a classy move on Starr's part? No. Do I blame Starr? No. Unlike the selection of Elizabeth Hasselbeck where all of the cast felt like they were in on the selection process and it was out in the open, the Rosie thing was done behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if Starr was informed just before the news hit the trades.

The other incident, ironically, involved the split screen argument between Rosie and Elizabeth. After that episode, Rosie called Barbara a hypocrite because she felt as though she'd been 'set up'. I think Rosie, having had her own TV show, knows when things are planned out for the ratings. Barbara acted the innocent as if the topics are not discussed beforehand and which ones are picked knowing they'd be the incendiary ones, guaranteed to inspire the most 'heat' in discussion. Had Barbara just told Rosie 'Look kid, it's nothing personal, it's just good ratings', Rosie wouldn't have liked it but she probably would've calmed down quicker. But again, Barbara acted as if she was powerless and the decision was totally out of her hands.

Just kind of duplicitous, IMO.

As a Journalist/personality, I can respect what she's achieved but I actually might admire her if she wasn't always orchestrating opportunities to laud her own personal achievements. I wouldn't be surprised if she had some part in planning They Year of Barbara. Not every detail but just enough to make sure that the proper adoration is paid. Meanwhile she acts coy and pretends it was all a surprise.

Edited by DramatistDreamer