Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm so grateful to have all of these years on YouTube to watch!!

Me too! I watched AMC 1978-1987, AW 1987-1994 - both of which had edge of your seat programming throughout that time (not the entire time, but you know what I mean) I also found ATWT Sheffer years 2000-2003 to be edge of your seat, can't miss a day of it stuff. I'm finding that I'm absolutely enjoying the Marland years just as much.

I know - they make it impossible to miss! LOL Every day Dan Regents? Regens? says at the beginning of every episode "The Emmy Award Winning As The World Turns" these days.  Hee Hee.

• Members

While ATWT was on a downturn about this time, I am glad that episodes from '94 is popping up. I started watching around this time as a young child and I didn't find the show to be bad. 

Seeing as Coster was John Eldridge on Our Private World and Scott popped up a few years back, it would've made so much sense had they not killed John and just brought Coster back in that role. I never cared for Eduardo and felt it was a waste of Coster's talent. Does anyone know if Coster opted to leave the show or if it was a writer's choice? If it was a writer's choice, I always felt that was stupid as Coster was a solid actor, and Lisa desperately needed a companion in the later years of her life. 

Duke is a character that this show should've brought back. He had that dry sense of humor that John possessed, and we could never have too many doctors on this show. Plus, no one could get under Lucinda's skin like Duke did. Would've been interesting to see how she took to him had he returned in the last decade or so. 

Poor Jessica. Shannon's return always p*ssed me off as Jessica got shafted for her. On so many levels, I found that to be jacked up. 

• Members

I'm watching Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates Jr. on the PBS website and the latest episode features Tea Leoni (Madam Secretary) and Gaby Hoffman (Transparent).

I had forgotten this piece of information (I read an article about it years ago) but Gaby  Hoffman was especially interested in research the genealogy of her father's side of the family.

When they showed a photograph, revealing her father's identity, I gasped momentarily before remembering that I had known this information for years!

They even showed a clip of him in several scenes from As The World Turns and Hoffman talks about the one "family portrait" she had was of her mother holding her, while her sister stood behind the T.V. where a scene from As The World Turns played out on screen with her father since the only time she ever saw him other than in family court was when he was on the T.V.

Please register in order to view this content

Yes, her father was Anthony Herrera (James Stenbeck) which she half-joked about his bad guy persona and surviving being 'killed off' multiple times.

Even though ATWT wasn't terrible it felt off to me during this time. I agree with you that Eduardo shouldn't have been killed. Yet Eduardo's murder by Orlena, provided one of the best post Marland stories for Lisa and John. Even causing conflict with in the tight knit  Hughes family. I hated how dismissive Shannon was of Duncan and Jessica's marriage.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Eduardo should've never existed was the point I was making. Nicholas Coster should've been brought back as John Eldridge. They should've never killed John off previous years to introduce Scott. He should've just lived and then moved to Oakdale with Scott and gradually won back Lisa. 

While I didn't get to see Shannon before her original run, as it was a bit before my time, I hated her when I started watching. It p*ssed me off to see the Black woman get shafted, honestly. I hated how Jessica had to accept this gracefully as Shannon destroyed her family unit. At times, I wanted Jessica to clock Duncan and Shannon upside the head. I didn't care for Duncan's short return under Sheffer either b/c I still wanted Jessica to chew his a** out even though she had moved on. Duncan left his wife and child for Shannon and still didn't end up with Shannon. 

• Members

She said that she had attempted to 'connect' with him at least twice and found him distant, and seemed a lone(ly) figure and she hoped that in his final years (which he spent in Argentina) that he had found some people to connect with and that he didn't spend his last years being as alone as he seemed when she met him.

Throughout the episode, Hoffman discovered how turbulent Herrera's family line had been and it gave her a bit more clarity on why her father may have been what she had described as possibly insecure, stemming from a distrust of others.

It was a very fascinating episode because there were some family rumors that turned out to be true.

Someone should tell Colleen Zenk that she makes an appearance in the episode in a photo still and a video clip. There is a clip of Larry Bryggman (the back of him anyway) and one of Elizabeth Hubbard also.

I wonder whether PBS had to ask permission of PGP to get those film clips? Or could they have bypassed PGP and gone straight to CBS?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

I started watching ATWT during the tail end of Shannon's run. I never liked her much. I really liked Duncan and Jess. I guess Shannon was resurrect to give them a story. But the way the story was executed it did more harm than good.  Tamara Tunie is awesome in this episode.  

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Yeah, the Shannon that returned was not the Shannon who run around Oakdale for years, chasing ghosts and bitching at Barbara. That return was a bungled attempt to insert some tragic realism, and it wasn't suited to the character at all. 

I don't think it would have ended the way it did, if ATWT hadn't been switching writers and in a constant state of transition at the time. That was Stern and Black, wasn't it? 

• Members

Isn't that what a good marriage is--being best friends? Sorry but from watching old episodes on YouTube of Shannon/Duncan along with Jess/Duncan, I have to side with Jess/Duncan. Their relationship seemed equal. They were equal partners in that marriage. With Shannon/Duncan, I always felt Shannon was a damsel and didn't have an identity outside of him. I think Jess added more layers to Duncan.

By that you mean we would've gotten a different ending with Jess/Duncan or Duncan/Shannon?