As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

It's something that can be easy to take for granted, but as you said, is very rare (especially as many from Julianne's era of the show don't feel the same way, and even some others who do have more positive memories rarely bring the show up). I'll always be impressed that she returned briefly for the final year. 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'll never forget when SOD interviewed her as part of a "Where Are They Now?" special issue.  First of all, I thought it was incredible that Julianne Moore even would agree to be interviewed by SOD.  Even more special for me, however, was what she said about other soap alumni who invariably tell the press how they view their soap gigs as "stepping stones" toward other, more prestigious gigs in film, theatre and TV.  I'm paraphrasing, but the gist of what she said was, "It isn't a stepping stone toward other jobs, it's a job." 

That's why it always pisses me off whenever I hear even current soap actors say working on soaps is a great "training ground" for young actors and such.  I'm no actor, but even I know it's gotta be damn hard work to go on that set everyday and try and give the best performance you can, with scripts that can vary wildly in quality, and absolutely zero time for preparation and rehearsal.  As Erika Slezak says in her Archive of American Television interview, there are actors who come to daytime from other arenas who think they can do it but realize pretty quickly that they can't.  And if the rest of the cast and crew have a hard time working with actors who are "green," just imagine what it's like to be one of the folks at home everyday who's watching this [!@#$%^&*].  Like I always say: "Learn how to act on your own time, not on mine."

Thank you, @DRW50, for posting that video.  It's always thrilling for me whenever anyone gives a shout-out to my hero, Douglas Marland, lol.

I agree.  I remember reading, though, how someone (Goutman?) wanted to extend her visit, and thinking, "C'mon, we're lucky she came back at all," lol.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I remember hearing that (allegedly) she might've done a bit more in that episode (or maybe two) had Goutman not written her into a couple more scripts preemptively. That made her management squirrely and it became what it was. But I'm still just glad she appeared.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I have been plugging along on my YT binge through '86 over the year, and I was curious: Did Marland introduce the intense psychosexual fascination Lucinda had for Craig, or was it always there thanks to Hubbard? She's clearly deeply into him and I can remember seeing it as early as, I think, some Christmas '85 episodes. I thought I'd read they slept together eventually but I don't know when that was or the circumstances.

I believe they were deeply at odds in the 2000s when Craig became a supervillain, but I don't know if that relationship ever began to mend itself. Back in those days though, he seemed to be in her blood.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Lucinda and Craig had a ONS in late winter/early spring 1985 when both thought Sierra had been killed and were grieving and well, you know how that goes…

From what I have been told, Marland officially took over the HW job by the early fall (or late summer?) 1985, so unless he was ghostwriting, it was just as likely Susan Bedsow-Horgan. Man, I wish someone would do a proper interview with her and ask her about the timeline of her writing tenure at ATWT

By the time Bob and Kim had their wedding in April 1985, as part of ATWT’s anniversary, Sierra was discovered to be alive and she and Craig eventually reconnected and began a friendship, which made Lucinda uneasy (as she was hiding a secret from both) as well as jealous and resentful of the fact that Craig essentially treated them having slept together as a ONS between two people grieving over what they believed at that time to be the untimely loss of someone special to them.

In one of the soap threads, someone posted a CBS promo from 1985 and there’s a quick but illuminating clip of Craig and Sierra in each other’s arms and Lucinda, who has obviously just walked in to discover them in an embrace, has a look on her face as if her blood has just run cold. Craig, who notices Lucinda (and her scowl) over Sierra’s shoulder has this indescribable look on his face, as if he had been caught ravishing Sierra right in the foyer. It’s a “blink and you’ll miss it” moment, but that promo is certainly worth a look.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

So it seems that, on the episode marking the exact anniversary date for the show, Craig and Lucinda had their ONS. It starts on the previous episode and there was lots of champagne involved as Craig, having just helped Betsy save Steve’s life, and Betsy forgot to thank him, leaving Craig feeling dejected and Lucinda was ready to land her seduction attempts. I think it was less than a full day later, Betsy invites Craig to the house, saying that she never got a chance to thank him. When Craig arrives at the cabin, Betsy reveals to him that Sierra survived and has been staying with her and Steve for her safety and they got the word that she is officially safe. 

• Members

Marland's scripts began airing in October of 1985, so while he was probably not responsible for the initial Craig/Lucinda tryst, he clearly saw their chemistry and kept a slow burn going over the next six months or so.  Sometime in early 1986, the two began kissing passionately and Lily walked in on them.  Craig, ever the "big brother", had to calm Lily down and explain the situation to her.

• Members

Yeah, that scene came on the heels of a married Sierra rejecting Craig’s advances before running out of the stables, shattering Craig. Lucinda was there to pick up the pieces, more than ready to be the receptacle to Craig’s pent up lust.