Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It would serve as comfort food right about now.

Some B&B fans complain about the screen aspect ratio of the uploads to their YouTube channel but, honestly, I wouldn't much mind what aspect the videos would be should P&G decide to upload classic ATWT episodes as long as the episodes were good quality and in clear visual quality.

Awhile back on one of the B&B threads, I wondered aloud whether the YouTube channel would run ads while streaming these classic episodes and they are, something that any company that holds a library of classic soaps can do. While it's somewhat easier for B&B, due to episode length (22 minutes w/o ads) and they use little to no popular music, at least in the earlier years (I do remember a cover of "You Bring The Sun Out", if you really look, you will see most soaps had periods (even in the big 80s) when not much popular music was being used. If The Doctors and B&B can do it, many others can do this.

What do fans of The Doctors and B&B know that ATWT fan's don't?

• Members

Soaps at their best served an importance in entertainment nothing else can touch, due to the daily format, many years of continuity and history, making us feel like we are part of a family. I have missed that so much in the Trump years and now with COVID and all the instability.

Speaking of classic episodes - these aren't exactly "classic" (especially not the second), but as you have watched quite a few of these I was wondering if you'd seen these or know if they had already been online. The dates are off for us due to them airing in the Netherlands, but they would have aired in the US in fall 1992 and fall 1993. The '92 is only about 15 minutes, sadly. 

I do understand the complaints people have about Marland's last years as headwriter, but something about 1992  is so rich for me, so fascinating in its bleakness and the sheer weight of stories he built up slowly, slowly unraveling. The 15 minutes there have some wonderful scenes with Emma and Julie (probably looking about as chic as she ever would). I really wish they had done more with all the bitterness Emma felt about the Aaron lie - it would have been interesting to see more exploration of her very dysfunctional relationship with Iva. Marland came full circle in that instance as his tenure started with Iva/Emma dysfunction.

The mention of Grace and Logan in Wyoming also shows how important the years of history were in this period, and how much ATWT died when that aspect was dumped  by Jon Valente.