Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

One aspect that doesn't get discussed enough is how many actors either wanted to leave because they had other opportunities that they wanted to explore or that they simply wanted time off from the grind of soaps, which is understandable but often creates huge challenges for the writing of storylines.

I was watching a string of episodes from '94 over the weekend and in terms of Terry Lester, I will say that, despite how disappointing the conclusion turned out to be, Lester really had chemistry with pretty much every actor he shared scenes with.  I saw him in a scene with Scott DeFreitas (Andy) and appreciated how well both actors played off of each other. It was nice to see both actors invested despite the scene being quite brief.

I missed much of the time that this character was on the canvas but from what I've seen, much of early Samantha seemed like a lot of filler. I didn't see much of the show when they put her with Kirk.

• Members

And that's really the difference between stage and screen. On stage, the written word is the alpha and the omega, sets and stage production are the icing but you can stage a powerful production with practically nothing on stage (believe me, I know). It stands in contrast to television where no matter how good the writing may be, you really can't pull off a convincing production without... well, production--set pieces, proper lighting, wardrobe, hair and makeup to help set the scene. On soaps, in particular, it's very important. 

Yeah, you can still have stunning, engrossing dialogue and cheap sets and it could still be darn good but think about how distracting it has been anytime you've watched an actor on screen with horrible makeup, wardrobe and set pieces that look as if they were made of plywood. It has the effect of taking away from the overall performance. I would never diminish the effect that Calhoun's work had on the show, it is very much present on the screen with some of the show's best performances.

• Members

A remote I and @DRW50 enjoyed is discussed. The Frankie and Darryl remote from Switzerland and the tram/cable car. 

https://www.tulsaworld.com/archive/it-s-a-dangerous-world/article_f77d23b3-4484-5217-b397-c50a6871428a.html

I expected higher numbers for it but it ranked #3 for week. That remote was beautifully  done. Too bad it never made on dvd or to YouTube.

Here are the ratings for it back in July of 1992.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Thanks for finding that. I suppose this was around the high water mark for ATWT's ratings in these years...

I liked Sam, especially her partnership with Eliot, and I thought Brooke Alexander clicked with Scott Bryce and Tom Wiggin. I do think that having so many people conning Lucinda in a 3-4 year period, and having so many long-lost siblings pop up in a 2-year period, might not have been the greatest idea. I do think if they hadn't fired Alexander, the character could have had a chance. I didn't care for the recast...and then later regimes seemingly forgot the character ever existed. 

• Members

I was watching a clip from 1994....and ATWT had almost all of the core characters from Marland 's 80s around. I noticed Finn Carter returned as Sierra. Does anyone remember why Sierra returned? It's so sad that the talent pool was loaded yet ATWT had Richard Backus as HW and he was totally clueless.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Was this the early 00s? She was asked? I didn't know she had been asked back in the early '00s.  Since Bryce wasn't playing Craig, it probably wasn't worth the return stint for her, especially having just had her second baby.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

There are still a lot of well done episodes missing from YouTube and/or haven't been seen since their original airing.

I wish someone would've asked Kathryn Hays if she had a copy of the Labor Day episodes where Kim went through labor and gave birth to Christopher at the cabin. That is among the most sought after episodes on ATWT and it would be a kick if she actually had it somewhere on VHS or something.

• Members

I liked original Sam...she was more low key and had a dry sense of humor.  She was a refreshing contrast to the dramatic personas of Lucinda and Lily.  I did love how she left originally with telling Kirk to never con a con artist.  And the recast was a bust...imho