• 1 month later...
  • Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Is this the article that details Pickard and Provo's relationship?

They met in the late 1930s when John Pickard arrived in California from Australia. When he arrived, Pickard crashed with Carleton Morse, creator of "One Man's Family." Morse and Pickard probably knew each other because Pickard was involved in the Australian production of "One Man's Family." Anyway, upon arrival, Pickard ended up with a broken leg or some other injury and was stuck at Morse's for the recovery period. He met Frank Provo, who I think appeared on "One Man's Family" as an in-law or potential in-law. Later, Provo and Pickard left for New York City together. They were very much a couple. They listed themselves as partners on the 1940 census.

By the late 1940s/early 1950s, they bought a property in Massachusetts, which was pretty much the inspiration for "From These Roots." The home they lived in is now a bed and breakfast.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Here's a little unknown radio soap fact: Agnes Nixon (nee Eckhardt) wrote at least three episodes of MA PERKINS in 1945-1946. I came across the scripts in her new archive at Northwestern.

I'm so glad other people are talking about radio soaps. I love them. I listened to five episodes of ROSEMARY the other day and I was completely hooked.

• Members

The ROSEMARY episodes are on Archives.org (https://archive.org/details/Rosemary04Eps). I love this show. It actually uses sound effects and it sets the scene so well. I know Irna and the Hummerts eschewed it, but it adds something when you're listening, especially on headphones.

Agnes also wrote for YOUNG DR. MALONE when it was on the radio, too. It's always seemed to me that when Agnes stopped writing WOMAN IN WHITE with Irna, they completely parted ways until Agnes started writing for THE GUIDING LIGHT when it was on TV and radio. But based on my research, when Agnes left WIW, she moved to New York and Irna moved to California. But during that time, Agnes worked for Irna on YDM and she wrote freelance for soaps, primetime radio, and TV when it was in its golden age.

Edited by mikelyons

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Variety Dec 1959

Helen Trent will be written into the script of "Whispering Streets" on Dec. 25. Her "personal problems will be so pressing in Hollywood . . . that she will decide to go to N. Y. to visit her old friend, Hope Winslow." Hope Winslow is the lead of "Whispering."

Edited by Paul Raven

• 2 weeks later...