Radio Soap Opera Discussion

• Members

Joe De Santis, Margaret Draper, sounds familiar. Did he do any of the early soaps? Maybe I just remember him from Madame X.

The "Big Sister" story was interesting. I think Neddie was Ruth's brother, but I don't see that mentioned in the article. The original story was Ruth raising Ned with her other sister, played by another big name radio actress (I want to say it was the actress who played Carson Vickers on RoL and Constance Wakefield on RTH). I think the new doctor that was alluded to in this article was Reed Bannister, who was another love interest for Ruth. Maybe Reed arrived earlier in the story.

Thanks again for these.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Seymour was the lead in "Mary Marlin" as well. She did some later soap roles ("AW" and "GH").

The YDM ad is neat. It's definitely in the vein of the "Ma Perkins" ad, but I suspect this one is a bit more appropriate. I don't think YDM had the comical elements "Perkins" did.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I will say that Nora Drake story doesn't sound as hokey as some of the others. I wonder if Julian Funt or David Lesan wrote this series at this time? In the book I was reading on radio soaps, there was some discussion about their work and their focus on psychological issues. This also sounds similar in tone to some of the other late runs of the remaining radio soaps, "Road of Life" and "Wendy Warren and the News" where the men were suffering from mental issues that prevented them from achieving happiness.

• Members

It sounds like something you don't see very often, especially with a male character. I guess these shows had run long enough to where the women were being put in the roles of finding/rescuing/helping the men in their lives, to show a woman's eternal strength, etc. etc. I know on one of the radio soaps, a woman had to find her husband after he was wandering the globe as an amnesiac.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This is from Carolyn's trial for murdering Bill Walker, right? It was a lengthy trial. There are two or three episodes from this storyline online. I believe it went from at least January until May. It was also used to introduce Dr. Dick Campbell, a member of the jury who became Carolyn's "husband" until it was revealed husband #2 Dwight Kramer wasn't dead.

Here's some additional information. In June 1946, Gary Merrill was playing Miles Nelson, the prosecuting district attorney. At this time, they decided to introduce his family. Art Kohn played Mr. Nelson, Miles’ father. Anne Sargent played Deborah Nelson, Miles’ sister. Debbie Nelson was around for a while. It was at her wedding that Carolyn met husband #4 Lee MacDonald.

In August 1947, Don McLaughlin is temporarily replacing Gary Merrill. Merrill to return in September 1947. Also around this time, Barry Thomson and Helene Dumas were playing Mr. and Mrs. Jordan.

At the same time, the papers were reporting this about "The Road of Life"

• Members

So he got fired while on vacation? Poor guy.

I've heard a few episodes from around the time of the shooting, when her mother and her mother's husband were talking about her being in the holding cell and how scared her mother was for her.

How long was her mother around?

I heard one or two episodes where Carolyn was finally learning to accept Skip's girlfriend, only for the girlfriend to say she wasn't ready for marriage. How long did this take place after the trial?

• Members

I don't understand Matt Crowley's departure. I guess they wanted to keep Don McLaughlin in their stable of actors so they gave him the role of Dr. Brent.

I don't know how long Carolyn's mother, Doris Cameron, was around. She was there from the start and was around for a couple years. The books on radio rarely list years that actors appeared in the role.

Off the top of my head, the trial was in 1942. The episode with Skip and his girlfriend is the show's final episode from November, 1960. So there is quite a gap.

• Members

Carolyn gives a speech about 'the right to happiness' and the conflicts all concluded (the Braden boy was going to jail and Skip and Grace had Carolyn's permission to marry). Or maybe you've listened to the second to last episode, which I've also seen listed online but I don't think I've heard that one.