UK: The Worst Soap Disasters

Sylph

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not sure worst applies to the horrid writing, but more like biggest disasters kind of thing. Dunno. unsure.gif

Looking at these, two things: the Vic fire will be collecting dust in two days and Bryan Kirkwood should be banned from doing fires for the rest of his career.

• Members

The Vic fire was actually pretty different from the Dog fire. Fires are very common -- they go back to Crossroads in 1981 or so. Then Corrie and the Rovers being torched by bad wiring (1986 or so). Hollyoaks is having another one later this month.

Emmerdale's plane crash was a huge game-changer and devastated many lives with consequences that went on for years and years. It was also very stark -- I still remember scenes like Kim Tate watching in despair as her beloved horses were burned alive.

One Emmerdale disaster which doesn't get as much attention but was pretty good was the 2004 storm which killed Tricia Dingle and injured several others. Poor Ashley almost bleeding to death in his car...

Corrie's tram crash in 1968 was riveting. They didn't actually kill any characters that viewers knew, but by letting us see the reactions of the main characters and the grieving of those who had lost their loved ones, they made us care.

• Members

The clips are out there of some 60s Corrie.

The production values weren't great but then I find a lot of drama of that time is effective no matter what the budget. Sometimes less money means more focus on emotions and atmosphere. It's one of the reasons I am enthralled by the early Hartnell stories on Doctor Who).

• Members

Another Corrie disaster was the 1969 coach crash. This was supposed to be broadcast in color, but it was too complicated, so the lovely tour of the countryside and the crash were filmed in black and white, and the hospital scenes the next day were shown in color.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived