Victoria Rowell, Darius McCrary, and Kristoff St. John on Radio Show

• Members

I see where Victoria was coming from here, partly.

However, I suspect she's not particularly liked at Y&R for her attitude IMHO. She comes across as very pushy and combative when things don't go her way. She even started putting Kristoff on blast, trying to get him to say things that could jeopardize his job. Thats when she started losing me. I'm black, and I don't think I would warm to her, simply for personality reasons.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think VR should write a piece encompassing everything she's been saying and send it in to the New York Times a la Ellen Holly. It would most likely get published and I personally would take some satisfaction in it all being put out there once in a big splashy very visible way short of appearing on Oprah.

• Webmaster

Can anyone say that if they talked bad about their job, whether they were speaking the truth or not, that their employer wouldn't "punish" them? Whether it be a letter in your file or just not requiring much work out of you (for actors, less work; for corporate America, less responsibilities. ie. quasi suspension)?

• Members

TVG: I’d say. Last year, Victoria Rowell [ex-Dru, The Young and the Restless] labelled daytime ‘racist’. The U.S. has a woman and a black man running for president, yet daytime appears to be moving backwards instead of forward with the world. Since you’re a black soap vet, I’m eager to hear your thoughts.

JR: Yes, I would have to agree with that assertion. It’s odd since daytime used to be groundbreaking in that respect. There is tremendous storyline potential for black characters on soaps, but it’s hard to convince the powers-that-be to acknowledge that the world is changing. You know, I’ve been tremendously disappointed for people of colour on soaps. Other than Victoria’s former show, Y&R, and our show, Days, no one has had that kind of racial presence throughout the years. I have to say, though, that I’m very proud that Days has allowed me to grow older as a black man on TV — which rarely happens in any genre. I think often times, daytime TV operates from a cocoon. They’re not looking around themselves. I can’t solely lay the blame on daytime TV, but it’s suspect when you consider the largest demographic watching daytime is blacks. They deserve to see their own stories reflected on their favourite shows.

TVG: It’s such a no-brainer, especially in an industry losing audience members each day.

JR: Exactly. Like you said, you need to look no further than our current electoral candidates — which no matter how it turns out, is bound to make history — [and see] that daytime is stuck in the past. Soaps are too focused on trying to attract the younger audience, yet the majority of Barack Obama’s support comes from voters under 30. You do the math. Producers in daytime are producing, often times I find, for their own parents instead of their own children.

TVG: I never thought of it like that. Why does the African-American/Canadian audience respond to the soap opera format so passionately?

JR: There are several reasons. One of the major reasons is why the white audience responds — which is our continuing storylines. Also, daytime is the medium that is still airing on broadcast TV; it’s the only genre that you can access free. A large number of African-Americans fall below the poverty lines and can’t afford to buy cable. As more people get cable, and things change in this country, daytime should be able to revive itself in many ways, I think.

TVG: I don’t understand — if the soaps’ primary audience is black, why does daytime employ such oppressive ideals? Almost enthusiastically and unashamedly, I may add.

JR: [sighs] I find it very hard to understand, my friend. As a rule, soaps don’t consider minority characters important.

TVG: Yet, the oppressed often hold the truth in society — and the most heart-wrenching stories.

JR: Nighttime shows like Lost have disproved the soap opera module… their popularity is based on their diverse casts, not in spite of their diverse cast. Soaps need to take note of this and look into their intentions more deeply.

TVG: Is part of the problem the lack of black writers on daytime? Personally, I don’t consider this an excuse. If you’re a human being, you should be able to write about human beings regardless of colour, sexuality or sex. Thoughts?

JR: Listen, I’ve been an actor for a long time and I’ve worked in most mediums. Entertainment, in general, needs more minorities behind the camera, for sure. I would say every story I’ve been involved in is a story any actor can play. Every front burner storyline that I’ve seen on soaps, I would also say any actor could play. You don’t need to have an ethnic storyline — all you need is a good story and the audience will respond.

• Members

One interesting point: KSJ made it clear he can't challenge because he has a family to support. VR not being on the show (or any other soap) is actually a plus because she can be a voice for those who can't speak freely. I hope her willingness to speak out does lead to changes in the industry. It will be a real coup and an important step. Not being afraid to challenge the status quo in Hollywood is rare: Hunter Tylo did it with her landmark case against Spelling--she took a huge risk and, ultimately, won the right for women in the industry not to be fired because they were pregnant (and lots of them were or were afraid to get pregnant because of the consequences). As for people calling VR obnoxious, loud, etc., well sometimes you have to make people uncomfortable until they realize you aren't going away.

• Members

i have a problem with the assumption that everything victoria rowell says is true.

MTS wearing an afro-wig to make fun of VR? i just don't believe it. it doesn't sound anything like the MTS i've read about, heard about, or heard talked about. the story doesn't ring true, especially since it's one VR just started telling recently.

rowell DID take over that interview, no question. she's so much bluster and hostility, and no one can get a word in edgewise. if this was her style on y&r, it's no wonder they don't want her back.

she was an actress on the show, but she wanted to direct and write -- to the point where that became a demand. she had problems with michelle stafford, but MS wasn't the only one. even now, she tweets negatively about MS, MTS, peter bergman, and others. she doesn't stop -- even though she hasn't been on the show in YEARS.

i'd want to see the evidence about the pay scales, too. there is ZERO proof that rikaart, luckinbill, and branson are making more than KSJ. stuff just gets thrown out there without any evidence.

VR has burned and destroyed those bridges to y&r, yet she backs twitter petitions to bring her back. i'm sorry, but this just isn't sane behavior.

darius is being too heavily criticized, i believe. yes, he said the n word, but have you listened to the foxxhole before? that's MILD compared to what's said there, and he was just making the point that he'd been in the business for over 2 decades.

• Members

Can't blame blacks for Prop. 8 passing, counties in California that have almost no black people in them voted Yes, what was the excuse there? Those counties that voted for the measure by 60% and over put it over the top. But enough about politics, that's not what this topic is about.

• Members

I think his job is already in jeopardy and she's trying to tell him why, as well as who should be held responsible. Maybe she shouldn't do it so publicly. I don't know. She needs to find new places to light her fires.

Archived