Even the Names of the Current Soaps Sound Antiquated

• Members

Aside from "General Hospital," and maybe even "All My Children," the names of the remaining soap operas just SOUND "old-hat." I mean, how many of today's teens and 20-somethings would choose to start watching a show called "As the World Turns," or "Days of Our Lives," or "One Life to Live,"....or even the Bell shows with their cliched titles, "The Young and the Restless" and "The Bold and the Beautiful."

It's almost as though their titles are handicapping them with potential new viewers.

I think ABC would be smart to truncate "One Life to Live's" title to just "One Life." After all, it means the same thing, really. "To live" is kind of redundant.....and a little off-putting to new viewers, with its old-school soap name.

(....just babbling on here..... :lol: )

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Only As the World Turns and Guiding Light pop out as old to me.

Actually even there is no reason to shorten OLTL's title to One Life, I wouldn't mind it if it ever happened, but realistically soaps should have a "soapy title". What kind of title would you consider new or cutting edge that still sounded soapy? The titles are what makes soaps unique IMO, no reason to change them in order to chase a younger audience they will never catch.

• Members

No-nothing name + even worse opening credit sequence = FAIL.

Conversely, RYAN'S HOPE might've sounded kinda boring, but once you saw the original opening w/ the entire cast playing in (I think) Central Park w/ John Reid, you realize, "Hey, this could actually be about real people in a real setting!," and you stay tuned.

• Members

Well I don't what you meant with the bolded part :lol: , but what I meant is when you hear titles like "As the World Turns" or "Days of our Lives" you think, That must be a soap! And IMO, The Edge of Night is as soapy as comes with soap titles.

Archived