The Suds Report 8/20/10

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What's with the bullsh!t Maura West blurb? Agenda-pushing Be-yotch! Sorry, but this is Maura West, not Jeff Branson, Eden Riegel, Marcy Rylan, Michael Muhney or Stacy Haiduk. This is our generation's Bev McKinsey & those bitches at Y&R should be so lucky as to have her.

• Members

The Young And The Restless does Stunt Casting Also. Young And Restless Casts John Driscol and Jeff Bransom who were on Guiding Light Together and Eden Riegel and Elizabeth Hendrickson who were on All My Children WITH Jeff Bransom. Eden and Elizabeth were Lesbian Lovers on All My Children, but now They are Fighting over the Same Man. Jody

• Members

Who didn't know "insiders" would be bitching with a 2 time Emmy winner moving into their 'hood? From the moment I heard about it, I mentally heard the pre-Emmy nom bitching in my head. Not for this year, but next. Either Maura will take a spot someone else "earned" while Maura's coasting in the role, or she won't get one because the Y&R cast doesn't like her.

Yeah, Y&R does stunt casting...which drove me nuts on ATWT. And Emmys don't prove anything (my aversion to SarahFBrown proves that..) And the Bev McKinsey comparison might be overkill. But Maura's proven she brings it every day. She's slogged through years of Sheffer's and Pissy's hackdom. If that didn't destroy her ability to deliver, nothing could.

• Members

Oh, please. I vomit at the very notion that she can pull off anything besides her 15-year-old Janet Leigh imitation. "Our generation's Beverly McKinsey." I laugh and laugh and laugh. And then I vomit.

• Members

This is really a good question. Maura has played the same role for so long can she break out of the ticks and habits that she has developed over the years? This is the real problem that good soap actors have when doing a new role. The writing will also help or harm her efforts. Diane isn't much different from Carly when it comes to scheming so Sheffer will likely merge the two characters until it becomes Carly completely.

• Members

My question is what happens when she's on a show that doesn't actually have characters? Look at how bored and vacuous Stephen Nichols has been. Or Eden Reigel's belly flop. They are playing nothing.

The show is probably the worst of any daytime drama in the past year or two of actually creating new characters.

• Members

I stopped watching Y&R before Eden was on the show, so I can't quite make the comparison. I do know, however, that my not watching Y&R has nothing to do with Y&R's actorial talent, whereas Carly's presence was at least equally responsible (with the scheissful writing) for my giving up ATWT back in the '90s (the only reason I came back was Nuke). MW/Carly represents the beginning of the end of Oakdale like no other single, pointable-to influence.

Archived