DAYS: Another Actress Out! Role recast

• Members

I think those characters are unnecessary and add nothing to the show and haven't since they've been brought back. Their stories suck yes, but the characters themselves have been poorly integrated once they've returned.

If DAYS intends on getting rid of dead weight and people to save money, then these people should be under consideration. What have they done for the show since they've been back? IMO, nothing.

But DAYS really had nothing planned to take up the slack once the baby switch fizzled, and its hurt them ever since. None of the stories they have planned are interesting or look that promising.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Carly has prolonged the conflict between Bo/Hope. She is mother of Melanie, who is one of the younger characters with the most screentime. Carly has also been thrown in as interloper in the Dan/Chloe story through. I think Carly's place on the cavnas is fairly firm. Without her, several stories would lose some steam.

I was disappointed with Vivian, not so much with her scheming to kill Carly, but with her relationship with Victor. This should have been more of a big deal. Vivian had waited years for Victor to marry her and love her. When Victor offered himself up to her instead of Melanie back in March, Vivian barely blinked an eye. Given the fact they are redoing Buried Alive, I suspect Vivian will return from the dead to find Maggie comforting Victor. If Sorel leaves, I will be disappointed, but I won't necessarily be surprised.

I'm not privy to anything, but I don't think the original plan was to reveal the truth about Melanie/Carly so quickly. Corday told the press that NBC was looking at the spring numbers and I think he wanted February sweeps to be big, so they accelerated the Carly/Melanie plot. Once March came around, the show had nothing to play. I think the big wedding reveal would have played out in May with a smaller reveal in April.

The secret regarding Chad is now the big story in place and I can see how this is going to ripple across the canvas as will Chloe's baby drama. If Vivian stays on long enough, I would like to see her and Stephano reunite, if not romantically, at least become partners in crime to hurt Kate.

As great as the baby switch was, it wasn't until the reveal that it became almost universally accepted as a good storyline. People complained about it for a long time before the eventual reveal.

• Members

Carly's certainly been better integrated than Vivian, but much of her story seems extremely flat and forced, it's as if they tried a little too hard to make the character work and I don't think it's been extremely successful, especially her inclusion in Chole/Daniel drama. A lot of Carly's return and stories have felt rushed and hastily pieced together from what I've seen.

I don't even know where to begin with Vivian, and I'm not sure the current regime at DAYS gets the character very much.

Carly/Melanie definitely felt rushed from what I saw, and I think they've done a poor job with the aftermath of that story.

• Members

Oh, i agree 100%.

But honestly, i feel like 90% of the canvas can go and it wont matter. Thtas my issue. Unlike a year ago when i felt like almost every cast member added something, it feels as if they add nothing now and they are interchaangeable with newbiews. lol. Sad thing is days struck gold with the baby swap, but it was by luck and they dont realize how to plot a story like that again.

• Members

I think the execution was weak, but I like how it tied everything together. The setup is there for the story its potential is just not being fulfilled. Some people have problem with Carly because she is forcing Chloe to tell the truth after she lied for years about Melanie. I think the situtations are different, but I also think Carly never really suffered. She was ostracized for a little while, but mostly everyone forgave her within a month so they could play the baby drama.

Another major problem with Carly's story was Lawrence's death. Salemites acted like Carly was a completely awful human being for what she did to Lawrence. Lawrence wasn't a nice man when he was on the show. I found everyone accusing Carly of being a murderess made it hard for the audience to feel sympathy for her as well as how quickly she and Bo became a defacto couple. I do agree the execution was incredibly weak at times, but I still see Carly as a part of the canvas.

Vivian's story should have been simple and, in the beginning, it was wonderful. Victor used Vivian to stick it to Kate about her marriage to Stephano and they played up Vivian's role in her son Phillip's life. The stuff before the wedding was delightful with Kate and Vivian quarreling. It wasn't the meat and potatoes of the story, but it brought something to Phillip and Melanie's impending nuptials. I wish Vivian knew that Phillip had bedded Chloe as I think that would be something that Vivian would lord over Kate like a cat with a canary. I know Vivian tried to kill Melanie, Phillip's wife, but Phillip is going to do just as much damage when this bombshell drops. Vivian's human side could have been shown her desperately trying to help her 'son' to make things work and the bond would give Victor a reason to see Vivian in a different light.

The problem now is once Vivian tried to kill Melanie she became a pariah in Salem. I secretly wished when Nicole returned from prison that it would be Vivian who used her finances to put Nicole up in some swank hotel knowing the feeling of having a child (Nicholas) taken from her. Why Nicholas hasn't returned to Salem when there is so much for him to do is incredibly frustrating?

"Days of our Lives" doesn't always do a good job of creating a community feel. Vivian doesn't interact much with the canvas at large. It would be nice to see her with someone like Justin or Adrienne, who she has tentative ties to through Victor, or involve herself in Brady's story since she considers herself an aunt to John. I wish "Days of our Lives" could feature a more upscale place where Vivian could just interact with the canvas at large, but the current sets don't do her justice. It's hard for her to be in her own at Java Cafe or the Brady Pub.

• Members

Couple of things. First get your facts straight...

#1) Crystal Chappell and Louise front and center in a Carly-Centric storyline with Crystal on screen for like 40 days straight and the ratings soared! Days reached number 3!

#2) Days was renewed during this storyline when the ratings were climbing

#3) Crystal and Louise are backburnered, Peter is sent on a 6 week hiatus- and the ratings plummet! Since then, Crystal is kept as a supporting character with no story of her own and the ratings continue to drop!

The tanking ratings are related to the craptastic writing and the failure to give Crystal and Louise a story!!!!

If anyone needs to be fired it is Ken Corday and Dena HIgley! Ken for not listening to the fans and Dena- who would be better suited to write cartoons! Try researching the history of a character before you write a story! Try writing a story to completion and not dropping it half-way through!

• Members

No, you get your facts straight there fangirl.

DAYS was already hitting #3 regularly before then, due mainly to the baby switch story that was going on. When that faltered, and the show started focusing more on Carly/Melanie, and Carly/Chole/Daniel, RATINGS FELL.

DAYS was renewed due to its success during the 2008-2009 season off the back of the baby switch story, which Carly and Vivian were hardly apart of. So, get your facts straight there.

Please, Crystal and Louise have had no impact on the ratings one way or another, and I don't think they come for extremely cheap. All signs point to the climax of the baby switch story, which carried that show for over a year. When that was over and the immediate aftermath was played, the ratings were down.

• Members

I don't understand where these crazy and deluded Crystal Chappell fanbitches get off saying DAYS went to #2 for one friggin' week off her back.

When DAYS went to #2 in HH's, and it was only one week last fall, it was the week that Sami confronted Nicole and got Sydney back, a climax to a year-long story. DAYS was gaining viewers due to that story, so it wasn't stupid to assume that people would tune in to see it climax, nothing to do with Chappell and her bloated and stretched out face. Her fans think she's God, and most of them only started to like her anyway when she started to court and prey on lesbian audiences.

• Members

I wonder if the decision to let go Arianna was because they are deciding to pursue Gabi's role in the Chad and Will's story. I suspect we will see Gabi be the woman that tears their friendship apart when they both pursue her. Plus, there would be the added drama of Gabi becoming involved in the Dimera realm as Will and Chad are drawn more and more into the show's inner circle. If Arianna had stayed, her love story with E.J. would probably produced similar results or at least a similar reaction in terms of the Sami/Rafe/E.J. triangle.

To be fair to the Crystal Chappell fan, I think February sweeps cinched the renewal, which was heavily Vivian/Carly. Had Carly/Vivian's story played its natural course I think the show would have maintained its ratings, but the sudden rush for a strong February Sweeps hurt the show in the long run. The show needed to rebuild its long arc with Chloe's pregnancy and the Madeline/Stephano/Kate secret both of which I believe have the potential to regain the audience if they continue their build. A nice long winding plot with a huge payoff could win back those viewers who stuck by the baby switch saga.

Archived