Rank the Soaps' Production Values

• Members

It was still looking good even in 2008, I don't about anyone else but it didnt start to get really bad until all those budget cuts back in late 08/early 09. I know they are trying to be cost effective and all, but they really need to tone down the lighting. The pink vagina lighting just makes it so ugly, and look like some cheap sitcom from decades back, just plain ugly.

I have to give kudos to ATWT, they still look really good despite having one of the lowest budgets out there. I wish someone at DAYS would take some cues.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Totally agree about the B&B lighting and the show looks like the best in the business. I recently did see some shadow in the background (maybe a crew member) but it seems to have been a one time deal. GH does look but but lacks the writing to match. ATWT has great sets: Goutman was smart to make the hospital, WOAK and the police station all one set with a few added props shot from different directions--you can barely tell and it must save cash. Also, World really toned down the lighting making it more like Y&R--not sure if this is a good thing 'cause I liked the bright light look back from the Marland era.

I dislike the look of both AMC and OLTL. Both programs just look tacky.

• Members

With both AMC and GH being broadcast in HD these days, OLTL, the soap that used to be the better produced out of the three is now the least appealing because they're not in high definition. What I find interesting is the variety of sets used on OLTL despite their budget, for example sets like Llanfair and the Cramer mansion are still used, foyer and all.

I also like the fact that OLTL is one of the few if not only soaps that try to illustrate certain times of the day, such as sunset.

One of the negatives to having a HD television these days, is the horrid production values on DAYS are put under a magnifying glass. You don't know just how harsh the lighting is or how bad that pink tint is until you've seen DAYS on a HD tv.

• Members

The rock-pop-ish cues are horrible and you would think they came from the 80s, but now they are brand-new... I REALLY miss those old classic tunes B&B used from 1987 to 2008 when they showed the scenery shots - it felt lush.

One thing B&B has imporved in the past 2 years are the new or refurbished sets: Jack Forrestel's sets used to be pretty bland (kind of like GH's sets) and fell off compared to those dated but fanastic Sy Tomashoff sets. But Jackie's apartment, Spencer Publishing some redesigned Forrester Creations sets really look contemporary and good...

• Members

The thing with the music is that the show has been outsourcing their music cues and everything. There's one cue they use often with the LA shots that I've heard used on an online series used to promote a contest for some car and I've heard in other places, too. You know it comes cheap. I wonder if B&B even create their own music anymore? There's another cue they use often now that I've heard elsewhere but can't put my finger on where.

• Members

I switched on Days one day last week, and the lighting was harshly bright. The production has the feel of a "Saved by the Bell" rerun. As for AMC, the show does look better in HD, but it's ALWAYS looked tacky, even in its heyday. Througout the 70s, it supposedly had the smallest budget out of all the shows, and it showed. Production values were pretty low rent through the 80s too, until FMB and improved them. To be honest, I kind of appreciated its lack of polish when it came to its production values. There was something very endearing about that.

• Members

Why would any show create their own music anymore considering the cost__use the money to pay actors. All any EP needs to do is check out sites like MySpace music and they will find great stuff on the cheap. To be honest, soap music has always been pretty bad. As of late, ATWT has been using real hits from a few years back and it gives off a good and current feel.

I'd bet that a lot of films out source their music these days.

• Members

From best to worst...

GH

B&B

AMC

Y&R

OLTL

ATWT

DAYS

In actual fact, GH and B&B are the best, AMC and Y&R are in the middle and the last three, in my view, just don't look that great. What I like about GH is that the lighting isn't 'soap' lighting, the move to HD upped the production values substantially, the music is good, the revamped hospital set looks very accurate (I should know!) and the actors, by in large, look great.

B&B has the best lighting in daytime and especially the finest location/outdoor shooting in daytime as well. Of all the shows, its actors look the best. Where the show falters is its music and some sets that are simply tired and could use some jazzing up. The cheesy music cues that establish scene shots are HORRIBLE, they'd be much better off using one of their classic instrumental cues. Really, B&B has terrific music, just like Y&R, so they should tap that resource and forget about being 'current' because it just sounds desperate and cheesy. The sets like the Forrester mansion are tired because they look so 80s. Taylor's house looks really cheap and ugly and it didn't use to. Nick and Bridget's house is ugly as well and out of place in Los Angeles. However, sets like the Forrester beach house, Forrester guest house, Jackie's penthouse, Pam's house (that MUST be in Silver Lake) and Jackie M Designs all look terrific.

AMC's move to HD and LA sets look really good and are a major step up from what they have now. Y&R has definitely fallen from grace. Repetitive set use, less set dressing, BAD lighting, repetitive crap music cues, it's all gone to hell. The one set that still looks 'right' is Katherine's home, but it's 37 years old and appears to have been made to last, since the set is a dated/classic look, it's aged the best by far.

OLTL, ATWT and DAYS all suffer from low budgets and cramped studios and it shows. Each has its own problems. I don't like how any of the shows look.

• Members

They don't have to do that. Instead they should just use their classic scores, fans usually likes them more and they don't have to pay anything since it's their own scores. B&B are compared to some other soaps pretty good at that. But look at Days, ever since Corday and Nelson took over as composers in the 90s they have made over 3,500 scores. And the music on Days just keeps getting worse, instead they should use the scores they already have, that will save money.

Archived