Rank the Soaps' Production Values

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it has for a long time. Roark Critchlow graduated from my university's theatre department (UVIC) where I studied two years, and he came back to give a lecture about the bizz. This was when he was off DAYS (and ironically just before he joined Passions for a bit) and he actyually basically said he thought the acting on DAYS suffered even more than other soaps largely because of how they blocked it--he made it sound like (I'm sure he was exagerating) they told you to stand in one place for each scene and not move, lol.

• Members

What's amazing about B&B, even though the show is brightly lit, the lighting is so cinematic and not harsh. The show is set in California, so it should have a sunny flare, but it's absolutely stunning bright lighting, the best example of how bright lighting can work, if done properly.

• Members

I love how AMC looks now that it's shot in LA. Definite improvement from NY. I don't like some of the sets (those are NY carryovers), but the new sets that have been built since the move to LA have been great -- the new production designer does a great job.

• Members

I enjoy the directors at AMC. AMC hired no new directors in LA; everyone who is directing in LA is a NY carryover (Shelley Curtis, who occassionally directed while the show was in NY, is now directing on a regular basis). Angela Tessinari is still directing at AMC, but commutes to LA every three weeks or so and directs episodes in bulk.

• Members

The sets on B&B may not look bad but I dont particular care for their production values, especially the cheap music they use with the shots of LA at the beginning of shows and in between scenes. They can defiently improve upon that

• Members

Out of the 4 soaps i watch, here are my rankings.

1.GH-Though i'm not really familiar with it's production history, since i haven't watched it for that long, I do think that the lighting is probably the best overall, and the sets are pretty good.

2.B&B-Again, pretty good lighting overall, but wish it were a little darker like it use to be, during inside sets, I think it looks pretty good from the outside, and yes looks like they are in LA

3.Y&R-Not bad at all, but the show use to be known for its darker sets, and darker lighting, so i just wish they would go back to that more often

4.Days- I hate to say it, but i do agree with what most have said... WAY too bright now, compared to like 5 years ago or so...

Archived