April 26-30, 2010

Toups

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A spread of 5,000 is exactly why CBS axed ATWT: World Turns historically bested OLTL by a pretty decent margin due to strong lead ins. I'm actually gonna say the the ratings for OLTL aren't all that bad considering the weakness of AMC and the rest of the ABC lineup. AMC is the program that has really crashed over the past twelve months and the demos are way down since the firing of Pratt.

Y&R isn't doing all that bas considering how bad the current story is. I've never understood why Y&R holds such an insane lead over other shows. I do not believe this relates to time slot or otherwise Loving, City, Port Charles or Generations would have scored well. I always hear from people on here that Y&R does well 'cause it is the 'lunch break' soap but the earlier start time isn't bringing in those almost 2 million extra viewers. I'd love to see another non-Bell soap score above a 2.5 in households.

• Members

I can remember back to when a 1.9 was a bad week for last place GL and, now, 1.9 means you are a ratings leader. Let's get real: if ATWT needs to be cancelled then all of the soaps below a 2.0 need to go. Clearly, this isn't going to happen but it is stunning that the 'bottom' four soaps are basically tied.

Rux, I could see ATWT move up into the 1.0-2.0 area if B&B can get it's numbers up as a lead in. There always seems to be a spill over effect. With Amber returning to LA, maybe B&B will edge up for a few weeks and you will get your wish.

• Members

I'm glad to see AMC tied for 3rd place. No, a 1.9 isn't the same today as it was a few years ago because all the soaps have been in a free fall, but AMC has managed to gain 1000 viewers over the previous week without David Canary. To me, that's a huge accomplishment and bodes well for the new headwriters coming in that they can raise the ratings eventually.

• Members

I'm loving AMC & GH right now so I am glad they went up. They totally deserve higher numbers though. Being that AMC is still in a transition phase I think their ratings are pretty solid aside from the demo's which I wish would move. Going to try and give OLTL another chance this week but if it underwhelms I am so done with it. DAYS has been pretty boring to me lately. Y&R is a HOT MESS and B&B has been so disappointing for months now. I actually watched ATWT just to see Luke and Reid and I really liked what I was seeing. Too bad its cancelled.

• Members

I agree GH has been getting #s in the onesies and they are number 3 :lol:

1.8's even sad but it only shows me that this genre is in fact dying

I can't possibly look at 1.8s, 1.9s and say they are kicking bum

yes they are up from last year but they aren't blazing any trails.

As for being good it is if you are a Carly, Sonny, Jason fan

Robin/Patrick gets no story everything else is given the bum's rush

and squeezed in as an afterthought

Its the "acting that has been excellent" but for me the storytelling is dismal at best.

Same cah-cah new day nothing that makes me go Ummm no WTH? moments I can predict

their stories because they are always the same...

If you aren't firmly attached to a a male (preferably lead) you get no story

or a few minutes usually seconds

...I'm waiting for them to conclude the krystina abuse storyline

maybe they have I only watch sporadically but I did follow this one.

• Members

1000 viewers are nothing, plus the numbers last week were dreadful when one would think a David Canary good bye should have been a big booster. Pratt's ratings, most importantly demos, were actually higher. I consider AMc to be ABC's most troubled show considering it has the best timeslot, promo, name recog, and serious help from the network. I actually consider OLTL to be a pretty strong show holding a 1.7 considering all the recent changes, firings, recasts, and KISH mess. I see OLTL doing about the same as the rest of the line up provided the network gives it some TLC. Also, when ATWT goes off the air you've got to figure 500,000 viewers might make the switch. OLTL would be smart to pick up one or two ATWT actors and add them to the cast. The two shows have been stealing actors from one another for years and this could be a coup for ABC: I sugget Maura West and Martha Byrne.

• Members

ITA. Viewers won't just switch over unless you give them a reason. I personally think about 5-6 more actors can go from OLTL to make room for four ATWT actors. You figure if it brings you 300,000 viewers which isn't much, it can be the difference between last and third in the ratings.

• Members

ITA, too! I'm guessing that is why OLTL is letting so many actors go: these sorts of cuts go beyond budjet and storyline changes. My guess is actually five actors including Maura West and (sadly) Michael Park. I'm also curious as to why, now, Jean P. is so needed at OLTL. They made a statement about Caravatti asking for her to be brought on board which hints at the fact that Frons might be looking to add some ATWT style stories into the mix. When AW was axed, most fans did not switch; however, now, OLTL will be the only soap on at 2pm in the East which has got to mean some sort of gain.

PS: My might mare is that they did away with KISH for a NUKE 2.0 with Van Hanis joining OLTL. While I fund NUKE cute a few years ago, I do not want to see it replayed with new names on a new network. Wouldn't it be a bitch if Frons got silly and bought out PGP characters for ABC TV like back when they tried with Another World. I think, this time around, PGP might be willing to deal since they are now out of daytime TV forever. I doubt this will happen but, by now, there should have been a few rumors out there regarding ATWT actors and them joining new soaps. KMH aka Emily would be a great fit for Pine Valley. ATWT still has over 2.5 million viewers and a min of 500,000 might be willing to sample their favorite actors on a new soap.

Anyway you look at this, OLTL has a lot to gain come September and this is why ABC is keeping the show on air.

Archived