Kylie's 11 album, out July

EricMontreal22

• Members

When was the last time Xenomania had a non-Girls Aloud hit? Do you really think they're that expensive to work with these days?

ETA:

As I've lived with this album more I'd say my favorite tracks are.

1. All the Lovers

2. Everything Is Beautiful

3. Better Than Today

4. Aphrodite

5. Go Hard or Go Home

The two Xenomania tracks do nothing for me and fan faves Illusion and Closer I often skip. I do see Closer growing on me but something about it bores me. Not sure what exactly. Overall it's a good album, but I still prefer X.

Ranking modern Kylie I'd say...

1. X

2. Aphrodite

3. Light Years

4. Fever

My ranking includes B Sides as well. Obviously X was flawed, but offered a lot of diversity, the videos and tour were great as well. Also some of the bsides are just amazing. Fever ranks low for me bc the album is very bland. Lots of dull tracks like More, More, More, Give It To Me, Dancefloor, etc. The singles were huge standouts, but the overall album is packed with forgettable filler.

BTW my overall rankings would be completely different of course. I just was focusing on the Parlo years.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They had a top 5 with Mini Viva's Left My Heart in Tokyo last Fall (but everything else from that group, created by Xenomania has flopped big time and we'll never see an album, lol). And while not good with singles, the sales for the album they did last year for Pet Shop Boys were surprisingly big and the Gabrielle Climi stuff. But you're right that they're going through a rough patch. Still, I've heard they still are fairly pricey, but prob by the standards Parlophone would pay for Kylie it's not a big deal.

It's funny how, unlike with X, nearly every fan has diff love and hate tracks from Aphrodite (at least at this point, when the album's settled among fans it'll prob change at first). I was really not even slightly feeling the Xenomania tracks but now Heartstrings has really grown on me. Go Big or Go Home just sounds cheap to me now--and I loved it at first--so glad it didn't make the album.

I might agree with your ranking actually (you conveniently left off Body Language :D ). Aphrodite has less standout tracks than X, but does play better as an album (I think only half its videos were decent though, Wow is pretty crappy). And I agree about Fever, it actually feels kinda rushed to me (it came out what, a year after Light Years?) Great singles (well I'm kinda indifferent to Come Into My World), few hidden gems (I like Your Love, LOVE Tightrope which didn't even make the normal editions, and love Lovr Affair), but I think fans kinda forget that considering how high many rate it.

• Members

Exactly. It's a mixed deal--last time she held off releasing X in the US soshe could promote it there later, but by then ofcourse her small US fanbase had already bought it--so it's smart ofher to do it this way. I'm not surprised it prob won't go top 100. And Ruxton, I *never* buy from iTunes :P (besides which I can't access US iTunes)

• Members

Just got this email from a friend in Australia (who's even more of a Kylie nutter than I)

Aphrodite has debuted in the Billboard Top 20 albums!!!

This is shaping up to be Kylie's biggest album since 2002's Fever album ...

United Kingdom # 1

Australia # 2

Germany # 3

Spain # 3

The Netherlands # 4

Ireland # 5

Belgium # 6

USA # 19

A Top 20 debut for a Euro-based pop singer on Billboard is VERY impressive ... and NO promo over there yet ... Fever sold 1 million in USA and Kylie (1988) sold 500K in the USA

Archived