Why did Sade's new album sell so well?

DRW50

• Members

I don't really buy or listen to a lot of new music. I had heard that Sade was releasing a new album, and I wondered if it would have much of a chance, since she has been relatively obscure for a number of years. And then I hear it went to #1, the first Sade album to do so, and has sold over a million copies.

I love a lot of the mid-late 80s and early 90s Sade music, I have her/their Greatest Hits CD and play it fairly often. But given how schizophrenic today's music industry (there seem to be no real trends anymore) is and how you're more likely to get attention with a crazy outfit than a song, I didn't think she'd be a big hit with today's market. Is it because the whole "look at what a big voice I have" era for female singers is so over with that now she's in style again? Or is it just a really good album? Is it worth buying?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, it was their first album in a decade, so there must have been some build up. Sade has a very loyal following and fanbase. 2000's Lover's Rock scanned over 3 million in the US, which was great, considering, outside of By Your Side, none of the following singles made any noticeable impact. By that point too, it was also their first album in nearly a decade (since 1992's Love Deluxe).

Their music also has a very accessible and timeless appeal, I think. You're always going to find people into that type of easy listening and soulful adult contemporary music, particularly older audiences.

The album also sold over 500,000 copies in its first week of release in the US, and that also happened to be the week of a massive snow storm in the Northeast, so perhaps, a lot of people got a greater opportunity to purchase the album in that first week.

• Members

That's interesting. Since CD sales have gone down a lot over the past few years, and I'd read that this album was kind of different than their other releases, I was surprised it did so well, but the snowstorm explanation helps me make sense.

I guess I'll have to buy it at some point. It's nice to know that a classic artist can still come back when I turn on my TV and see such genius as "Ke$ha" or whatever the name is.

• Members

I have not heard the album yet but, from people that I know, Sade seems to have this good name/reputation thing going on. It was one of those things that you hear they're coming up with a new album and you're sure it's going to be great. You are therefore certain to buy it. A lot of people just expect quality from them and thus don't even question buying it. That may factor into what Turner said.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Susan Boyle's fans are stark raving lunatics.

Apparently "Drake" (wheelchairJimmy from Degrassi TNG) wanted to collab with Sade and she politely declined. Thank God. I mean, why?

• Members

she's in style again?

LOL, she was never out. IA she has a very loyal fanbase but her sound is definitely unique and timeless. She exudes class and style while always proving less is more when it comes to sex appeal. I love that she does things on her own timetable and her own terms. For Sade lovers attending a concert is the ultimate. This cd wasn't her best but it's good and it grows on you the more you listen to it. My favorite tracks are The Moon and The Sky, Soldier of Love, Be That Easy, and In Another Time. If you have the opportunity to see her live I highly recommend it.

Archived