Y&R Discussion for the week of April 19th

• Members

DeeeDee, you're taking bits of my post out of context. It should be obvious that I wasn't blaming Bryton for the fact that his character gets nothing to play with but that I was blaming MAB, SHx2 et al.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the situation with Devon is a perfect example of how people underestimate Victoria Rowell's influence with the black characters on the show. She fought long and hard for the character, and when she left, they intentionally neglected him for years and he's withered away.

I don't even know if Bryton knows how dedicated Rowell was to his character or if he's even appreciative of her efforts. She must have felt insulted when he didn't even mention her in his Emmy speech.

• Members

But can you blame the audience entirely? Isn't it a natural response not to invest in minority characters when you know that, realistically, they will only be on the show for a few years (at best) before they are written off or completely marginalized.

• Members

Of course they going to have a short stunt if the writers aren't willing to write for them. If they are willing to write for them like the nonblack girl CKLily & the white counterparts for them to have stupid storylines & give them longer stunts like Daisy chick & Ryder why not for the new black characters. Instead of the writers thinking short term they need to be thinking long term.

• Members

But how does this implicate the audience? I guess you could argue that the writer's write to satisfy the viewers, but in the case of all of the soaps (judging, at least from the audience that uses this and other forums), that isn't the case.

• Members

Because the audience MAGICALLY gets totally involved in ANY White characters or pairings. Even ones that rarely if ever interact.

White characters share one or two scenes & immediately there are vids & websites ALL. ABOUT. THEM.

Archived