Y&R Discussion for the week of April 19th

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

normal_57539435baller26105272009115514AM.jpg vs. Eden-Riegel-CBS.jpg

Vail is a goddess, and while Eden is definitely attractive.... she clearly is trying to hard to come off as edgy... Vail has that natural look. The hair absolutely does nothing.....its more of a hindrance than anything.

• Members

Because we could watch paint dry and it would be just as interesting as Devon.

Y&R cut their losses with young duds like Eden and Noah but keep Devon because Bryton somehow miraculously won that Emmy. Maybe they'll write for him once he wins two Emmys the way GL did for Kevin Mambo. Oh wait. Nevermind.

• Members

Oh please.

Bethel, Rikaart & Graziadei are boring & ridiculously overrated yet they get constant story.

And it's not exactly a mystery as to why.

He won because he's talented.

Something Graz & Khalil can't do has Rikaart been able to repeat.

Exactly.

• Members

I'm not sure if they see Noah as a dud -- Kevin Schmidt has been liked by fans and sold his stories exceedingly well. It's just that he is frequently doing other things and Y&R does not care enough about the role to recast him. Keeping him around on a small scale means that they can continue to get away with writing Shick like overgrown teenagers.

• Members

How can you say he's a zzzzzz when they aren't giving him meaty or any storylines like they give his whiter counterparts. At this point I wish he was behind the chimpmunks scene just to give him something. He so much exciting then CKLily will ever been but they seem to write for the nonblack CKLily then the other black folks.

• Members

Both points regarding Devon are valid, and that's because there is a big gap between what Bryton McClure is capable of as an actor, and what makes Devon tick. Bryton is so comfortable and laid-back on screen, it is hard to believe he is even acting. So viewers understimate him. Added to that is the fact we haven't seen him since, gosh, I don't know, when Obama was elected?

But the other problem is Devon. There is nothing to this character. Nothing. The writers give him nothing. I don't know who this guy is, apart from the fact that he wears a cochlear implant and is there to nod his head from time to time while Lily yaps about never getting to know her baybeeez. Is there an off button on a cochlear implant? Hopefully Devon has found his.

TPTB need to refocus on Devon and do some serious work on what his character is all and where he's going, about because right now he is an empty cipher. And if they could somehow lure Tatiana Ali away from her Buppies success, that would be awesome. When Roxanne discovered Devon and Tyra going at it (in the most WTF moment ever, but at least Bryton got something to do), she salvaged that horrible plot point with absolutely ZERO dialogue. When she walked in and then out of that room again in shock and horror, all I wanted to know was What is Roxanne going to do? I couldn't take my eyes off her.

• Members

There is PLENTY to the character.

The problem is hypocritical viewers who fall all over themselves to get completely involved in his overrated white peers who have JUST as little to do but TONS more story to do it in.

That doesn't mean something is wrong with the character or actor.

It means something is wrong with THE WRITERS.

Look at Nikki, Jill & Paul.

None of them get much airtime or character writing but nobody suggests something is "wrong" with their characters.

Bryton had PLENTY chemistry with Leon, Frantz & Hendrickson but was it used? No.

Yet you know all about Daniel, Kevin, Billy, Chance, Cane & Adam?

It doesn't matter WHAT TPTB do.

Even if TPTB magically decided to be serious about committing to diversity the bottom line is VIEWERS will NOT let minority characters succeed.

For what?

Y&R & it's viewing audience doesn't do minorities except for Scottie Pippen.

Exactly.

Archived