Y&R: WOW.....SO SOON?

• Members

I think I love you! :wub: This is what I have been trying to say for months. The show really isn't what it was. :( The characters have all become some one note and boring it's shameful to watch. The much talked about balance is GONE and the storylines suck. They don't think in the long term about ANYTHING.

Two simple things I'm bitter about.

1. They signed Camryn Grimes to a new contract JUST to kill her off. They said it was because they didn't wanna break up Sharon and Nick...remind me, what's happening now?

2. When Sheila, their biggest return EVER, they said she would be LONG TERM and that they had interesting ways to get her integrated into Genoa City. What have we been seeing?!!! I also think making fauxSheila Sugar was a big [!@#$%^&*] cop out. I would rather they had forgotten the entire storyline! :angry:

I will miss Sheila and Terrible Tom. :( Why can't the show let ANYONE be bad? Not Phyllis, not Jill, not Katherine, not Victor for heavens sake! What are they thinking?!

I'll be extremely pissed if they win Best Drama this year when they didn't win for their flawless 2004. ATWT is the only soap worth winning that award, IMO.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Dec 30 2005, 06:51 PM)

I'll be extremely pissed if they win Best Drama this year when they didn't win for their flawless 2004. ATWT is the only soap worth winning that award, IMO.

ITA! But they probably will for Cassie's death.... a show should not win drama series for an uneeded plot device.... ATWT should win.... OLTL should be considered as well.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Dec 30 2005, 06:51 PM)

I think I love you! :wub: This is what I have been trying to say for months. The show really isn't what it was. :( The characters have all become some one note and boring it's shameful to watch. The much talked about balance is GONE and the storylines suck. They don't think in the long term about ANYTHING.

Two simple things I'm bitter about.

1. They signed Camryn Grimes to a new contract JUST to kill her off. They said it was because they didn't wanna break up Sharon and Nick...remind me, what's happening now?

2. When Sheila, their biggest return EVER, they said she would be LONG TERM and that they had interesting ways to get her integrated into Genoa City. What have we been seeing?!!! I also think making fauxSheila Sugar was a big [!@#$%^&*] cop out. I would rather they had forgotten the entire storyline! :angry:

I will miss Sheila and Terrible Tom. :( Why can't the show let ANYONE be bad? Not Phyllis, not Jill, not Katherine, not Victor for heavens sake! What are they thinking?!

THANK GOD, I just knew there were people that felt the same way

what are we going to do?

I can't stand this.

• Members

Sheila, Sheila, Sheila. With Sheila gone hopefully the show can get back grounded! This character is played out now. She's become the Stephano Dimera of GC/LA. She always comes back, which makes her character campy as hell. Even on B&B she was campy because Sheila always escapes. I knew her return was going to be ruined that's why I wasn't excited when I heard KB was coming back, but I was willing to give the story a chance. And looked the majority of it sucked! The quicker Sheila is out of here the BETTER! If her return sucked so much, why would people still want to endure more of this?

I don't think anybody has lost their bad side per se. They're just mellowed out, changing like in real life. It's not like they completely lost their edge, there just isn't any reason for them to act bad. MS still keeps Phyllis edge, she doesn't let anyone walk all over her. I agree with you on Jill and Michael to some extent.

As for Camryn Grimes it's already confirmed she was leaving anyways, so yeah(but I still miss Cassie). The only thing I could agree on here is the balanace. If anything B&B should beat Y&R, because I'll admit I think it had a slighlty better year than ALL the soaps in terms of storytelling.

• Members

WORD.

I wanted the real Sheila back but it only got worse.

For me Sheila is a character of B&B though. The current storyline was as limited as her introduction to Y&R in 1990. (Unfortunately haven't seen the incredible babyswitch but read a lot about it.) I think the characters Kim had to play with can be counted on one hand - again. B&B's Sheila (I blame Jack Smith's increasing influence on B&B for the limited range in her 2002 showing, although Bradley is guilty of the cartoon the year following) was a center player - she was married to Eric Forrester for god's sake. She had a heart, wanted (to be) love(d) and a child. Bradley redeamed her more than once - namely in 1995 and 1997, both times through attempted suicide in different ways though.

For some reason Y&R cannot commit to "edgy" characters in most cases. Michael used to be the exception from the rule but by now he is like Phyllis, much too normal. This is good in some context but bad for the overall show which needed some driving force, IMO. See they killed off Tom already, for what purpose excatly?

Y&R is still one of the best soaps around but they wasted so much potential this years. It's nearly unbelievable who ws on the backburner whereas many storylines looked promising but turned into a shade of crap.

• Members

Eeeeeeee, James & Sheils. One of my alltime favorite couples!!!

Loved them, Kim Brown and Ian Buchanan were so daring and it were fabulous storylines with those two. Look how beautiful Kim looked even as the distraught bride jumping from the rooftop. Remember, the Xmas show 2 or 3 weeks later? James visited Sheila in the hospital and it was so romantic. Sigh!

Grant & Macy, Sheila & James totally rocked the marital and love front between 1997 and 1998 on B&B. Just where they all are now... :rolleyes:

• Members

Okay I could care less about Sheila, I know the show will not suddenly be better when she leaves, but dammit I am sick and tired of Sheila. How many times can B&B drag this character out for a ratings ploy? Sheila is done, the majority of Y&R fans are fed up with the character, and most didn't even want her back to begin with. I think every show has endured bad writing, heck this isn't the first time Y&R had a dry spell. The same thing happened under Kay Alden, and then Jack Smith came in and the show was awesome again. Now JS has burned out so IMO it's time for somebody else to take over, for some reason I see this happening in 2006.

Some people are acting like Sheila is the return of the century, I'd MUCH prefer to see Nina or Diane(played by Alex Donnelly of course) instead of this character. The Sheila story has been downright awful with few exceptions in between. If it was not for Roscoe Born and his tremendous portrayal of Terrible Tom Fisher then ALL of this would have sucked. Though I still think had Tom stayed FULLY away from Sheila, then more people would have liked Tom, and Tom could stay on. I'd much prefer the "tired" Sheila to die than a more complex character like Tom, who could have been fleshed out more. But no Sheila is like this frickin' "precious orchid" to TPTB!

That's how I felt in 2004 when Jill hooked up with that Elliot Hampton "Zombie" dude! All characters have gone through bad storylines, unfortunately for Sheila this isn't her first one.

• Members

Tom was hardly complex. He beat the crap out of Kevin, thats that. Sheila is a thousand times more layered. But this is a tired argument, i cant change your opinion or make you like Sheila. But hear this... she is legendary, and not even bad writing can take that away from her.

You think GLORIA is an interesting character. GMAB!!!! Major camp cartoon alert!!!

• Members

Yeah it is and im sorry that your character isnt get treated well. But shelia wasnt painted as a Grey Area character untill she ended up in LA. I think if they bring her back it should be away from Genoa City. Shelia seems to better when shes away from there.

Archived