Twin Peaks, 20 years on

Sylph

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Twin Peaks remains one of the finest things on television, ever. Very little made since touches it; it was way ahead of its time, ahead of the medium, still is. Pathetic junior high imitators like Lost are excrement on its heels. There's nothing organic or inspired about those shows; they're constructed from spare parts and instruction manuals on "how to be like Twin Peaks." Lost and its ilk are Twin Peaks for underachievers who think it would be much improved by more slow motion, twinkling piano music, shipper fanbases and Coldplay.

I happen to think Season 2 is very good, and it's actually my favorite for the wild confluence of ideas and directions. Even the "bad" episodes are far better and more wildly creative than anything currently out there.

Meanwhile, maybe someday Sylph will post a soap opera thread at Soap Opera Network in which he discusses a soap opera he enjoys and admires.

• Members

Hmmm... perhaps the fact that they are both shows about very closed up, almost suffocating communities... and they're both very atmospheric, they both have this wide selection of characters that can be sinister yet lovable. Yes, I kinda see it.

• Members

Twin Peaks :wub:

LOST is one of my favorite shows. As much as I love Twin Peaks, LOST is more well-rounded in terms of storyline potential. Twin Peaks, while it had its humor, was largely dark and violent and I could see an argument for misogynistic, though I won't go there. LOST plays at love, redemption, and while strange, doesn't dabble into Bob and Red Room strange. :)

Side comment, I would love to hear everyone's least liked character and plot line from Twin Peaks. I'd have to say that James is easily my most hated character and his storyline with the woman with the husband was horrific, though he and Donna easily win worst couple.

• Members

I have this TV show on my DVD, yet I never got around to watch it. Same thing happened with Veronica Mars, but once I started watching that series I couldn't believe I didn't watch it before because it turned out to be one of the best TV series ever made in the US.

So maybe I should give Twin Peaks a shot... if I find time, heh.

• 7 months later...

Archived