ABC Looking at New Daytime Show

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm going off the soap budget reports TV Guide published a few years ago. In 2006, it cost like $1.3 to produce DAYS a week, GH was $1.25 million, and Y&R was $1.2 million.

There's been budget cuts since then, with DAYS being hit the hardest, so now GH and Y&R are the top two, with GH edging out Y&R slightly.

• Members

Yep, and then the budget cuts of 2006 and 2008 happened. I think DAYS is produced on a budget of anywhere between $700,000 and $800,000 a week now.

I'm not aware of this, it certainly wasn't during the past decade.

The sad thing is, soaps were produced on a budget of tootsie rolls and lolly pops in the 60's and 70's, and yes it looked that way, but the creative content was a lot more compelling and daring, not so anymore.

• Members

I respect your opinion, but don't really get why you're so excited--couldn't most daytime newswatchers who wanted another news show just watch CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc? What new elemenet will this bring to the table?

Re budgets, I think AMC has more or less fixed its probs in LA--the original gossip remember had to do with the fialure to rent a storage space, etc. Also, ABC are smart enough to know after a move like that for the first little bit the show will need to settle into its budget--just the nature of the industry.

• Members

Do they make that much? A show like Lost is expensive to make. I know in the 70s daytime often helped support primetime--LaGuardia's book quotes Fred Silverman (when he was at ABC I think) saying that most primetime dramas cost so much that they don't make a profit for the network until things like syndication packages are factored in.

Archived