Create Your Own Soap

• Members

I'll probably catch a tremendous amount of flak for this, but...if you could, what kind of soap opera would you create? What would be the setting, along with some of the major characters and storylines? Be as specific or as general as you wish.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would bring Another World back. I miss that show and its characters. Where would the writers have taken those characters by now? If I couldn't have AW back, I'd want a soap set in a big city for many reasons:

1 - The opportunity to showcase diversity (though Brad Bell has done a bang up job of ignoring that with the BnB being set in L.A.).

2 - Relying on the chosen city as a beautiful backdrop - as NYC was considered the 'fifth character' in Sex and the City.

3 - Planting main characters at historic institutions or prestigious institutions or their counterparts. (CEOs and Wall Street Brokers, etc). Women would be power brokers on my soap and NO love triangles.

4 - Te focus would be corporate, primarily, with some focus on the law.

5 - Economic diversity would be a MUST. I'd love to see layers of economic diversity interwoven, but not fully integrated - Rich employers who speak freely in front of the 'hired help' because they don't think the 'help' matters. Personal assistants sharing gossipy tidbits and selling one another's employers secrets for cash whenever possible. No one would ever find out that they're the love children of rich parents. Remember how Lily's bio parents were poor, and then suddenly BOTH of them were the children of fabulously wealthy people... and her adoptive parents were wealthy... she married wealthy men... ARGH!

• Members

Hmm..I don't know. I have always thought of doing some sort of General Hospital spinoff.

I would take the less used characters from GH (Those that they don't really use, but keep on contract for "extra" type roles). They would include Epiphany, Matt, Mac (though he would stay on GH, too..For history's sake), Lainey, Kelly, Diane, etc. Then I might also transfer characters such as Kristina, Kate Howard, Ethan, and characters like that, that really dont have a "niche" on GH right now, for multi episode arcs, etc.

The show would take place with the root storyline being the Quartermaine's deciding to help rebuild and redevelop a recently bankrupted hospital in inner Manhattan. They decide to take on as board members and generous donaters to the hospital (which will be the root of how their cross overs will be handled).

The beginning of the show will involve a major s/l on GH where the Quartermaines are evaluating the entire GH staff to choose who they want to transfer to the new hospital (cleverly retitled 'Manhattan General Hospital', though nicknameed GH2 and "The Sequel" by the transferring staff).

The characters that will make the transfer from GH would be Epiphany, Matt, Diane, Lainey, Kelly, Edward, Tracy, Monica, and Mac(though those four would officially be on GH, but would make appearances AS NEEDED, or regularly, as necessary on the new soap, similar to Port Charles). Also, Robin, Patrick, and Elizabeth would make appearances for several weeks in the beginning to help the show secure a fanbase.

The show would probably be called "Sacred and Sinful" or "Destiny".

Epiphany would be, obviously, the head nurse. It would be different in the way, that she would be shown more as actually WORKING as a nurse, and emphasis would be put on her interactions MEDICALLY with other, not just her yelling, though her comedic side would be incorporated. Also, delving into her past would be done, maybe with scandal of a past marriage, a long lost child, parents, etc. Epiphany would also maybe find love (Toussaint, anyone? ;) )...And she would have a lot of money troubles.

Matt would be one of the leads. The show would focus on his interactions with the other staff of the hospital (because the hospital would be the actual setting of THIS show). His past will be delved into heavily, with a possible wife in the future/maybe from the past, medical problems of his own and different moral and ethical conflicts he might have with hospital dealings.

The storyline of Robin and Patrick coming to the hospital would involve Robin being hit by a car, and rushed to Manhattan to have surgery, because one of the best surgeons in the world was just hired to work at the new hospital from London. Patrick will obviously come with her, as will Mac. Mac will become involved in a love storyline with a new lead female on the show. However, while Robin is there, she gets an infection during a surgery, dangering the hospitals future, and having possible conflict with her HIV/immune system (though it would be handled MUCH better than anything on GH)...This would usher in appearances by Anna DeVane and Robert Scorpio (who could possibly stick around, in the hopes of capturing ex-GH die hards, to stay with the show.

Elizabeth would come to town when her sister turns up to work at the hospital, but is mysteriously murdered. Elizabeth would stay to help solve the crime, along with Steven, though it would later turn out Sarah survived the murder. Diane would be ushered in as the lawyer who handles the hospitals affairs, seeing as they are just re-opening after three years. She would decide to stay and open a law firm there, which would usher in appearances by Alexis, and would eventually bring on new characters (lawyers) to be contract with the show, and have interactions with the hospital (as the hospitals official law firm).

Lainey and Kelly would get love interests and have many more stories and interaction at the hospital. The Quartermaines would appear pretty regularly at first, and would branch into new storylines, and Mac would do the same, as an agreement with GH.

The shows cast would feature probably about 15 new actors/characters, while contract GH characters would be Diane, Epiphany, Matt, Lainey, and Kelly. The Quartermaines would be on contract as well, though it would have to mesh with theit GH commitments. Same with Mac. Also, Kristina, Kate, and Ethan may appear on the show with the possibility of staying.

The show would deal with diversity (not just black...but also Hispanic, asian, etc.)...It would deal with strong female leads, and economic issues, moral issues, things soaps SHOULD deal with...It would have lots of overall diversity.

• Members

Not to toot my own horn, but I already have hehe ;)

In a nutshell, having watched some 80s era of Guiding Light be it Douglas Marland's era or the height of Pamela Long's time on the show, I always try to emulate them in my writing with complex multidimensional characters, multiple close knit families, and economic diversity etc etc.

• Members

I have two in my mind. I've been writing one out actually. Not very far in, just projections right now. One would be a throwback of sorts to the classic P&G soaps of yore. Midwestern town with middle-class nuclear families with a bit of Bill Bell's sexual intrigue and Agnes Nixon's intense sociological studies. Slow moving and thought-provoking, very character based.

The other one is more or less a sort of picking up where Santa Barbara left off (obviously totally different characters and whatnot, but the general mood and tone would be the same cos that's just how I am), but in the Northeast and without the nasty JFP bits. Taking the first idea of strong nuclear families and how they relate to each other and adding in a lot of irreverent humour, some eccentric characters and a whole lot of camp and fun and optimism. If there's one thing I find lacks in today's soaps, it's optimism and fun. No one has any fun anymore :(

Archived