AMC: Show to go alot younger

• Members

In the current issue of ABC SID Sue Johnson says that a bunch of new teens will be brought on to fill out the Colby/Damon part of the canvas. While they will wait for Kreizman and Swajeski to arrive so that they can give their input on the characters to be added (how generous to let the headwriters have a say!), they will be added.

Now, I get that DOOL has had a resurgence of sorts by getting rid of some big names and bringing on a slew of teens/20-somethings, but it has always seemed to me that DOOL and AMC viewers are different animals. DOOL viewers (as well as GH viewers) seem to be more or less accepting of many new young faces being added to those shows in a short period of time. In contrast there's usually an uproar if AMC adds two teens in the same season!

This didn't work in late 2002/early 2003, it didn't work in the summer of 2006, and I don't see it working this time.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cause AMC has had good teen stories? They can barely write romance for the older characters, I don't know what makes them think they'll write it for the younger ones.

Who cares about the younger ones. I like Colby, but dont want her with Damon, bring back Sean and the actor who played him, I want to see if NH has chemistry with him like AC did

• Members

Bringing in teens is not the same as giving over the whole show to them. Historically, AMC has long had popular teen couples: Tara/Phil, Cliff/Nina, Greg/Jenny, Jesse/Angie, Hayley/Brian. As long as the current emphasis on writing for the vets in character remain and the teens are only one part of the canvas and they're connected/related to the main families, this should work fine.

• Members

Bringing in new teens works when you cast good actors and give them proper characters. I don't think AMC has really done this with teen characters in many years. Going back to 1995, when I started watching, I only remember one or two teen characters among each era of teens who actually contributed to the show. Kelsey. Then later on, Bianca. I'm sure there are others but they're not in my head right now. I guess Greenlee, since she was college age.

DAYS has used vets and their history as much or more than bringing in teens.

If AMC can start with stronger writing for teens and casting people who can act, then the future could be bright. I just hope they learn from their past mistakes.

• Members

They could take this oppurtunity to reestablish the Cortlandt family. I don't believe Cliff and Nina's son Mikey has ever been sorased. They could bring him on and bring back Bobby and of course Nina as their mother figure. Bobby obviously the more rebellious brother which could stim from his inferiority to the fact he isn't Nina's "real" son like Mikey is. And Nina would have to cope with her two sons by being parents to them, but worrying that she would be too controlling like her father Palmer was and feeling a bit guilty for staying away from PV so long before it was too late for Palmer.

• Members

Agreed. It's a soap and it's supposed to be multi-generational. As long as they don't monopolize the show. And yes, they have to cast compelling actors.

What will annoy me is if they come on as teens this summer and by next year they're running their own multi-million dollar company. I don't want them too age their youth too fast and then have to start the process all over again.

• Members

Exactly. Teen and young romance has been a staple on AMC in it's prime. This could work good if they use it to tie teens with establish families so we could go back to the generational stories again, along with social class issues AMC is also known for.

• Members

Poor Dani, they did her no favors with the Josh stuff. I did like Reggie as part of Jack's family. And of course Lily, at least before Mr. "they cut out the bad."

It's true they need to bring in more Cortlandts. I love Adam but they've caused the family to wither without him. There's still so much they can do with the Cortlandts. I hope they will realize that instead of just bringing in more generic teens nobody will remember in a year.

• Members

I dont see this as necesarily a bad thing. AMC has been sorely lacking younger characters for a few years now. We've had 3 Colby recasts and all the charaters added to populate her scenes never amounted to much. Theres a place on this show for younger characters and they just need to find the right balance

Archived