AMC: Show to go alot younger

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm thinking Reggie and Danielle are no longer teens. It's been like...6-7 years since they're little heyday, and they sure weren't 12 then. I'd love to see them reintroduced as young adults. It can easily be written that Reggie moved in with her over the last couple of years and they've gotten back together.

If they want to add teens who have connections, they'll really have to look at some forgotten, non-SORASed kids from the past. Max Santos is a good start.

• Members

I understand the rational of AMC adding new younger characters. The overall audience is increasing, but the 18 to 49 women demo has been declining so they are hoping this will change that trend. It may work if the writing improves, but that is unlikely.

• Members

Some of AMC's best storylines involved teens, specifically the Jenny/Jesse/Greg/Liza/Tad/Angie/Alfred/Amanda crowd of the early 80's. Nina/Cliff and Phil/Tara were also young lovers storylines. Difference was back then it just wasn't about pairings, it was about their relationships with their parents and families as well as social stature conflict.

• Members

Agreed. AMC could use a couple of more teens I just hope they don't take over the show. But at the same time they could use a couple of returning vets too with all the recent departures. As you said as long as there is balance it might not be too bad.

• Members

thats bc they never seem invested. They bring on teens that tend to fizzle out after a month or so of airtime. I really thought they could have had a good thing a few years back with Colby, Petey, Dre and Cassandra but that went nowhere. I think a teen story has place on the show if they show were to invest.

• Members

You need teens. There are so many stories appropriate for teens that just look silly on adults. Going on the run for example, and falling in love. Adults know they don't have to run (plus it is a schlep). Teens like to run and have angst so much that it hurts. Adults know tomorrow is another day. For good teen angst, there should be a sense of there is no tomorrow possible.

• Members

I think more younger characters are definitely needed just for the sake of multi-generational storytelling.... as long as there are some decent actors playing these roles and they don't take over the show... it could be beneficial for AMC.

• Members

AMC has traditionally been known for its teen (well young adult) storylines--this was part of the whole emphasis/concept for crying out loud, so I'm fine with it if it's done well. I'm worried about that as it hasn't been done well for some time, but... As it stands rigth now there's virtually no young scene to Pine Valley (even 20somethings)

• Members

Since Greg & Jenny were/are my second all-time favorite couple (after GL's Quint and Nola), I'll go along with the concept of introducing more teens and young adults to the AMC canvas. After all, as so many have mentioned already, young love has been a staple of this particular show from the very beginning (w/ the Tara/Phil/Chuck triangle). They just need to make sure 1) these newbies establish relationships with characters already on the canvas first before rushing head-long into front-burner stories of their own, 2) they are multi-dimensional characters, not glorified shadow puppets that would be too shallow even for the CW, and 3) they are played by actors who have at least a modicum of talent. The minute any one of them makes us long for the return of Ambyr Childers, they're toast!

• Members

DAYS actually got rid of dead weight and focused the show on characters in their early 30's and centered the show around a character, Sami, who has been on the show for over 15 years. Thats what they did right. Thats what everyone over looks. They did bring on Mia, and eventually will, chad, gabby, kinsey, etc... and did build up the 20 somethings with Steph/Phil/Mel/Nathan but they were not the focus of the show.

I wish other soaps would realize that. The point of bringing on teens is to build them up to one day take over when they get in their 30's and 40's, not to come on the scene and eat the show alive.

Archived