Linda Gottlieb article 1992

• Members

LOL you don't buy any of my arguments? I just woke up and I admit I'm not thinking as clearly as I sometimes do (not that my posts are ever clear) but...

Vee, maybe it was an interacial relationship with another character? hrmmm Found a bunch of clips with Carla from Dec 83-Jan 84 (the end credits for one say this was when Sam Hall was co HW very briefly with Henry Slesar)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, I do.

I mean, if it's really the impossibility of helming two shows at once, it doesn't really bode well for Agnes. It is still a mystery to me why she dedicated herself more to AMC. Even if everyone knows that is the show she loves more.

• Members

She did helm OLTL and AMC successfully for over three years at the same time (when they were 30minute shows)--I think it's a bit unfair to say it doesn't bode well for her if she prefered to focus more on one show. Besides Bill Bell has anyone else (and when he did both Y&R and DAYS he only did the story projections for Days--and of course B&B'searly stories were notoriously Y&R retreads)? Irna stopped doing that during the 15 minute radio era. Harding Lemay freely admits it was virtually an impossible task for him to handle Lovers and Friends and an hourlong AW and in his memoir sounded almsot relieved when he wasn't involved in L&F's retooling as For Richer, For Poorer

I think AMC just meant more to her--though other factors like when she left OLTL, AMC was still the newer and lesser known show so maybe she felt it needed her more, all playeda part.

• Members

They're on HamiltonBernique's page. Here's some:

I knew that AN offered LH a place on Loving, I didn't realize (or remember) that she'd extended the offer to EH too.

Yeah, she doesn't even mention Burghardt by name in her book. Us children of the '80s knew him even if we didn't realize it, as he was the voice of Destro on G.I. Joe. :P

Last week I posted about how AN made me tear up twice in one day, first when I watched the video about Sadie/Clara on her website and then on AMC's anniversary show. The clip I was referring to was from '08, does she get emotional talking about it in one of those '88 clips too?

• Members

That was pre-Rauch, when Jean Arley was producing the show. IIRC, too, Holly isn't the only actor from that time period to say how much they loved working under her, even if the ratings fell during that period, and Arley was eventually replaced with Rauch.

• Members

If someone's goofing off and they need to be called out, so be it, but I'm *assuming* that she got that rep for being nasty at times when it wasn't exactly warranted, you know? But just the other day on her hotline she talked about having one of her infamous "grouch outs" on set, and I think she was totally in the right (crew was given a break, actors were told to run lines during this "break").

• Members

She sure does--I think it may be in the second of the 4, 1988 ones on her site, which I believe focused on her social issues (they're all worth watching even if they're an hour each. I was surprised to hear people actually ask questions about Loving--which seemed to please Agnes-- The funniest is when someone has a question or comment that Agnes doesn't agree with--one woman admits she only is able to watch her soaps once a weeki but when she does get to watch them more than that she finds herself frustrated with how slow things move and the repeating of scenes. Agnes gets pretty defensive saying her soaps, the ABC soaps in general move faster than ever and they are always quickly told if a scene is too similar to a prior one--finally the lady asking the question says it's Guiding Light she's watching witgh an endless story about someone dieing of throat cancer--which I think was just brought up recentlyon here)

To be fair she's mellowed a *lot*. Imagine what her hotline would have sounded like in 1981 or whenever :D

Can anyone with more knowledge of OLTL than me tell me what the 1990 Badderly storyline was? People on youtube seem to like it...

• Members

Yeah--I dunno if it was Arley's doing or the network because of the ratings, but I don't think the quickly revolving head writer door of that era helped (especially when OLTL had had such a relative consistant and steady group of writers up to then) That was when SLesar was HW with Hall, then was solo, then the Corringtons, etc, all in several months it seems.

This is anal of me but I notice the writing credits on the OLTL wiki have changed and I think they're kinda wrong... I know it's hard to do actual dates for these things, but, I just noticed now on Wiki it says that the Corringtons were writing in Dec 1983, but one of the youtube videos from that channel (someday if I'm bedridden for a month or something I'm just gonna watch ALL of Hamilton Bernique's OLTL and AMC videos--there's just so much there it's almost overwhelming what to watch) the HW clearly were Sam Hall and Henry Slesar. I'd change it myself but don't know the dates otherwise (though things liek that bug me so much I may just change it anyway--with my luck it was prob someone here who did it and they'll get offended).

I also noticed that Margaret DePriest is no longer written as a HW at any time, when the Soap Encyclopedia and some credits on youtube clearly have her writing near the end of Rauch's era. And interestingly someone now says that Gillian Spencer and Anna Cascio were interim headwriters betwen Pam Long and Megan McTavish when JFP was in charge--this is the era when most basically say JFP was acting as her own headwriter. Maybe Spencer (who I didn't know wrote at OLTL) and Cascio were just the first names listed.

• Members

The throat cancer storyline was brought up by me actually. :P I'll have to watch all of those videos on AN's site, I attended the Worlds Without End one.

What's funny about these stories of RS's rep is that when she first met with Joe Stuart re: playing Dorian, he told her that he was apprehensive about hiring her because he'd heard that she was difficult (which made her break down in tears). So apparently she's been a "handful" since AW/AMC.

• Members

Yeah, I think she made it early on (although when she left AW on her own she did return for 6 months gladly when they had trouble recasting).

HAHA too funny that it was you who mentioned the throat cancer--I wouldn't have even known what she was talking abou totherwise. They are definitely all worth watching-you don't need to actually watch them--I got through them justlistening to them like radio while doing chores lol. I didn't realize just how conservative P&G still was--in 1968 when she was writing both AW and OLTL Agnes says while doing the Carla storyline on OLTL, she decided to have two friends on AW, one black and one white girl, become roomates and P&G absolutely refused. She says they also wouldn't allowhumour on their soaps--they felt it would pull the audience out of the situation but since AW was doing so badly when she got there they allowed her to try out some humour--which was a big hit and the first soap where she did some ofher braoder characters.

• Members

I'd heard that Badderly was a flop, the nadir of the Rauch regime, but people seem to think wistfully of it now. It's certainly fun to watch for camp value today. From what I understand it was part of the introduction of Carlo and Karen Witter's Tina, when everyone descended on "criminal cesspool" Badderly Island, where Carlo and other underworld heavyweights were having a big ol' coffee klatch. This led to Tina and Johnny Dee, which led to Johnny Dee's death, and Carlo's undying vendetta against just about everyone.

There was also a really weird period which you can find on YouTube, just after Witter's Tina arrives, when Tina and Cord are still estranged and her BFF Gabrielle is working on Tina, scheming to take Cord away from her (at this time, she was, I think, shunning the advances of Nicholas Walker's Max, who was operating under a false identity). I'm not sure if Gabrielle ever got Cord into bed.

I wonder if they're ever going to play Carlo again, as they never resolved his feud with Antonio (who is off on assignment to find Hesser), and I hated their killing Talia. I would like to see that dangling story wrap before the end of the show; say, Antonio returns to town at the same time as Carlo, discovers he faked Talia's murder and is holding her prisoner, rescues her and vanquishes his nemesis. Happy ending. If no Carlo though, he does have heirs who could still pop up and cause trouble. Please recast Audrey Landers though.

• Members

Did Arley also produce the show during the "Bo goes to find himself" storyline where he changed his name and became a working class guy? This is when the O'Neill family was introduced. Or I'm thinking this could be very early Rauch when the Corringtons were HW, although I kind of remember this running concurrently with the Carla/Alec/Ed/Courtney stuff which you guys are saying is not Rauch. That whole 1983/84 period is very hazy.

• Members

I thought Rauch wiped out the O'Neills, specifically Harry and Didi. I thought that story was done by another regime but I could be wrong. He did dismantle the unfortunate Crown/Coronal mob clan, those boring characters who were seeded in with Larry, Cassie, etc. (I did think it was cruel to kill another of Larry's wives, though.)

AFAIK the Crown/Coronal "heyday" with Anthony Makkana, etc. was not Rauch. I watched that stuff for Ed and Carla but what with the San Carlos nonsense, etc. it seems the show was in a transitional phase and had no idea what it wanted to be or who it wanted to showcase.

Archived