Logan: The Worst in Soaps 2009

• Members

The point is mute as there was no way that it "could," have worked. The show was gutted before the change to shooting in driveways,and Wheeler did the gutting. I think this whole "Wheeler got another year out of it," is really besides the point. She had three years before that to make GL work and she didnt. When they had a half ass budget, what did she do...she obscured the Bauers, ripped the three other families apart, promoted the Super Duper Coopers as the main and only core family, put all her eggs in the Gush basket, made the Spauldings all insane, had Joanathon eat up tons of air time, split up Jeva for no good reason, and of course, kept Brad Cole employed way past his "use by," date. Wheeler got GL to the point where the major and final budget cut came...so to say she was a savior would be like calling me a savior after I shot someone but called a doctor!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Part of soap operas is what happened in the past affects the present and future. They didn't just gut 1985, they gutted the entire Luke/Laura relationship, which is one of the only reasons anyone could stand Luke in the first place. This story also led to wonderful moments like Luke thinking Helena faking Lucky's death and brainwashing him was hilarious.

• Members

But what happens in the present doesn't really affect the past except on some theoretical level. If you liked L&L from 1980 to 1985, you still liked them and got yout enjoyment out of them. This just seems so long ago, like the silly Luke/Heather Webber affair. I know Luke and Heather barely shared a scene together throughout their shared time on the show, but I can only get so riled up about this. I know Rick Webber did not cheat on Leslie, it never happened, and yet the show said it did and there is only so much outrage I can muster over these retroactive events from 25 years ago.

Didn't she take to Twitter to float this idea to her fans to generate fake buzz? I could swear she did.

• Members

If you hear that what you liked turned out to all be a lie, you are likely to be somewhat affected. If you also have the story turn into Luke making a mockery of his son being presumed dead for several years and being brainwashed by your family's archenemy, then you are likely to be even more affected.

I can see where rewriting the past for good present story might work, it has worked -- the Cassadine stuff in 1996 was something of a rewrite. But what was the point of this? All those years trashed just for Ethan and for a weird story that went nowhere.

Archived