World Turns for a buck!

• Members

I like the way you think, Ruxton, and thank you for the welcome. You seem to be the only other fan who loves World Turns as much as me. I've seen a bunch of your posts and they are so on point.

With that said, no one has yet to answer my question as to why ATWT can not be either sold or 'gifted' (PGP giving up future rights to a dead program) so that the show can go on. Oprah's OWN would make for a great home but would she really want to pay a licence fee? She would probably want to buy it. The same goes for Lifetime TV. Why doesn't Cahill from TeleNext talk about selling the show as opposed to all his BS about finding new, innovative platforms? A lot of people seem to have missed my point: ABC shows will live on, even with bad demos, because they are network owned. ATWT will die because it is 'client owned', ask Les Mooves. How can PGP be convinced to sell a dead show? You know there must be one willing buyer out there. Maybe someone should start a petition asking PGP to sell all future rights to the show as opposed these well-intentioned but silly find World Turns a new home petitions?

If ATWT were CBS owned, Bloom would not have been so eager to help drive down ratings. In fact, the right people would have been brought in and ATWT would probably have about a 2.5 HH rating. Goutman's are only allowed to work for 'client owned' shows.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ATWT can be sold. The problem is P&G doesn't want to sell it. Whether someone would want to buy it? I'm sure there is. CBS wanted to buy ATWT from P&G for years and P&G refused. There are those petitions to get ATWT on Lifetime and Oprah's network. I hear Oprah's been bombarded with letters about ATWT.....lol. I don't think P&G gives a damn about finding ATWT a new home. It will be a sad day in September for me.

• Members

I am not part of the anti LML squad--even though she might not have been a great fit for Y&R she did do great work on Homefront and Knots. Also, I think CBS treats company-owned shows a bit better than sourced programming. I guestion whether Bloom would even be around if CBS owned its Daytime lineup?

Ruxton--I can't figure out why PGP refuses to sell World Turns? Is it that they think the entire PGP library will have some premium value at a later point in the future? I am starting to think that TeleNext is just stubborn: if we can't make money then you can't make money, either. Cahill should be replaced, pronto, and the TeleNext business strategy should be re-examined.

• Members

World Turns has pulled up to #5, beating the almighty Franco-infused GH in total viewers. The demos have even shifted upwards, beating AMC and OLTL. I'm starting to wonder if CBS knew that things were about improve and just pulled the plug quick while they still had a chance. I still find it strange that they cancelled ATWT nine months early. Just realized, World Turns now has more 18-49 year old viewers than it does old cat ladies. 2.5 million views daily must be a turn on for some network out there. If I were Frons, I'd try to buy ATWT for SoapNet as an hour of original programming. He spent a lot on Army Wives and that was basically a failure. Granted, I'd hate ATWT to get the ABC makeover: they would kill off the majority of vets within a year. I can just see Kim getting wacked by the mob. Sonny could make a crossover from GH and, while in Oakdale, make Dusty the local Don.

• Members

Total Viewers do not matter. HH matters, and in HH its at the bottom. HH doesnt even matter that much tho, Demo's do. and in the key Demo the show is still at the bottom, just above AMC and tied with OLTL. It is still at a 1.0 in the demo and that is still down from last year. it isnt odd that ATWT got the axe really. Its contract is up in Sept of 2010 and it isnt like the network and compay wait until a few months before the contract is up to get a new one. They go into talks before. With GL they waited to see what it could do til april, and with ATWT they know they are done. We all knew it was done when they axed GL.

As for the 2.5million viewers, history has sown that most times when a show jumps to another network the fans dont really go with it, esp in daytime tv.

As for soapnet, i have no idea what you are talking about. Army Wives isnt on soapnet, its on lifetime, and it does well for them. And everything Frons has done has worked in one way or another at soapnet because they have been getting record ratings this year. Soapnet doesnt air original content tho because itstill doesnt really have the cash to pay for that. And if a show goes from network to cable i bet it would lose about half its viewers.

IF, and thats a huge IF, ATWT went anywhere i bet it would be lifetime or hallmark. No matter what tho the show is going to be severaly stripped down. A streamline cast and i bet a lot of it wont be vets, less sets, etc...

• Members

I remember reading about Frons picking up a Canadian show at a high cost:thought it was Army Wives. I'm sure one of you know the show. Anyway, he spent a big sum, for some reason I'm thinking 20 million. I was just trying to say a stripped down World Turns would not cost all that much. As for sets, they only use about 8 on a regular basis and I am not sure how much further you could cut back. Everyone these days seems to live in the same Lakeview apt.

Archived