World Turns for a buck!

• Members

That was never legit. It was a fan started rumor that people believed.

Truth is, long before Alice was killed, the show knew it wasnt real and that they were all alive on an island. Thats why they chose Alice, because it would end up being fine and blame wouldnt be placed on marlena if Alice was the one to welcome her to the island. and all of that.

From the getgo the murders were supposed to be real. Around the time Doug was killed the show knew it wouldnt be and they told Francis when they told her Marlena was going to kill Alice. However, before it was the island story it was going to be a dream with a reboot back to the day Abe was murdered or some [!@#$%^&*] like that. But they were never going back to the beginning.

No.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the clarification on the SS storyline. I would love to find out what the original story arc was going to be..I actually started watching Days when it first started, the first couple murders were scary, semirealistic and the tone was really dark and interesting, someone from within is attacking the town's two closely knit families. It seemed that as the storyline progressed the murders became more, cheap and boring, until Marlena is revealed as the killer the story sank into mindless camp.

Though I will always miss Celeste the incompetent psychic and her wailing..."There is EVIL afoot in Salem...death will rain on our heads!!!"

• Members

I'll always believe Reilly wanted to kill Alice Horton. I don't care what anyone says.

The only reason why he didn't is because NBC/Corday stopped him and used the ratings sliding after the new year as the reason why.

It would have made Reilly far more ballsy had they went in that direction and were somehow able to redeem Marlena and in an OJ twist, have her acquitted of all the murders.

• Members

I thought 2.1 was the magic number in terms of profit: Basically that a scripted drama can command higherad dollars than a gane/talk sow provided they maintain that 'sweet spot' in ratings. They scow scored 2.0 last week meaning .1 to go. I read it like a year ago that a scripted show has more ad value but maybe this isn't true.

• Members

I dont know what his intentions were, but i know that Cordy personally told FR that she is not being fired, let go, her contract is valid and Alice is not really going to die.

Say what you will about Corday, he has treated FR better than any other soap has treated a vet. He still keeps her on contract to this day.

I do know that originally after the murders Marlena was to be caught, confess, go on trial, and get off OJ style actually. But again, by the time Doug was killed it was fake.

• Members

No. FR is unable to work. I heard from Susan hayes that she was in a fulltime care place.

there is no magic number. It all depends on how much the show costs to make, how much of the network pays, and how much profit they get off it (meaning how much they can sell ad time for and to whom).

CBS is thinking longterm. Can ATWT not only maintain its ratings but also grow it and keep it? Can the network put something else in its slot, spend less,a nd make more? etc... ATWT is done just like GL was. It got an extra year.

• Members

I agree with what you are saying regarding production costs. From what I understand, ATWT is the cheapest show on the air. My main guestion comes down to the local stations and the Leno situation might be a good example. Are local stations going to be happy with a game or talk show that brings in, say, a 1.5 HH? This show might be great for CBS (company owned, low production cost, ect.) but that doesn't mean anything to a local trying to sell ad time to the local car dealership. Judge Judy at 1.5 is great as a syndicated show but it seems like the networks are going to need a formula that pleases both sides. I'm sure locals are pissed about the low ratings on soaps but it is going to be even worse in the years to come.

I agree ATWT was dead as of last year. I am suprised CBS even gave the show an extra year. Oddly enough, when the show is written well, it benefits from the B&B lead in like back in the 2008-2009 season when it was at 2.4. IF CBS would ride PGP, World Turns or any other soap could make money in the 2-3pm slot.

I would not enjoy watching it but, really, CBS should just repet a different top rated prime time drama in World Turns place. Cable always shows a program more than once and the ratings would probably be strong. It would be so sad if CSI tied Y&R for first place. If I were Babs Bloom, I'd be looking at something like this. Shows like Crimnal Minds, NCIS, The Mentalist, Ghost Whisper, and even The Amazing Race would do well if repeated once a week.

• Members

Too true...I don't think Corday would f*ck with FR...though I do think he pissed on his parent's legacy by letting JER "kill," her and not having the proper gravitas to it, he played the whole thing for laughs I remember at the time watching it and what a mess it was, but thinking, "They have to have a way out of this which would explain it..." and just watching to see how the hell they would do it and then, what..that made no sense.

I don't know how they would let Marlena off after brutally bludgening her good friend to death with a wine bottle..and have her be a sustained character...(I am sure that would be when the witchcraft angle would come up...)I never "got," the DH/Marlena love to begin with..she always came off as so cold and controlled and "unlovable," (so I COULD see her as a cold blooded killer.)

Anway, CBS doenst want the P& G soaps. if they hit a 2.1 or not. I think the they know Televest isnt interested in sustaining them with any type of quality, so even if ATWT magically hit 2.3....they know that Goutman and Company would do something to screw it up again (remember when we were number 4 in the ratings and Goutman went about firing the Craig actor, etc...) and we would be back at 1.9 after renewal. I dont blame them, I would cut the looses also. Keep in mind, CBS inst the "bad,"guy here (or the total bad guy) Televest/P & G is...they could easily have poured some money into the show and got a decent writer then bottom of the barrel Passante and Kreizman of all people (the only reason he got ATWT is that he still was under contract and they had to pay him weather they played him or not.)

• Members

I thought CBS had the power to demand almost anything when it comes to a show like World Turns. If Bloom had wanted Goutman gone, he'd be gone. Bloom is the woman who rammed LML onto Y&R. I think CBs simply wants OUT of soaps. I'm guessing B&B might be next considering they are getting pretty damn close to 2.4 which bought ATWT only a one year contract. A show like ATWT is also going up against some CBS syndicated talk shows in certain markets and I doubt that this is in the best interest of the company.

Goutman is an ass. I remember when he fired Dusty, Craig, Mike, Chris, and Aaron, Will, Gwen, within a six month period. Loosing 4 characters and doing one recast guts a show. It was around the time that he lost Martha, too. Also, the writing somewhat worked previous to this. Pissy is no great scribe; however, her earlier writing wasn't all that bad: No Z twins, No Prof. Scarf, No Jade meets daddy and nothing happens, ect.

Were they trying to kill the show?

Archived