November 9-13, 2009

Toups

• Members

This is true. You know, I am ashamed to admit I have been intrigued with GH lately because of that. I have always disliked that the show makes heroes out of killers, but I am liking the soul-searching that Sonny and Jason are doing now because of Michael. And, I am curious about the little mystery that is playing out now. With GH, I always know whatever I like will be short-term (much like Y&R and Days).

If done right, there might be something interesting come out of Lucky (I think JJ is really good and that is not a slam on Greg Vaughn's Lucky), Dante, Johnny and Michael as sons of men who do not always -- and in some cases never -- do the right thing. JMO

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They just do that to make us pity Jason and Sonny. They have no choice but to stay with the mob, they're good men, look at their sad faces as they tell us so. They do this every so often to remind us of who the victims are. Jason did the same sadface soul searching when Michael was an infant and he ended up staying where he was. Even now, he is somehow making a sacrifice by joining another part of the mob.

I don't think they see Luke or Sonny as men who don't do the right thing. If anything I think they painted Lucky as the one who was wrong, who was an idiot for naively going along with what he saw as right, instead of reality. The Niz affair will probably wake him up out of that.

Lulu's lecturing of Dante (Sonny is a good man, he cares about people with AIDS and gives money when his kids get shot in the head) probably tells us how we are supposed to see Sonny.

• Members

I'm a relatively new viewer to GH, but I don't feel like I'm supposed to feel sorry for Sonny or Jason at all. I don't worship them. They are mobsters who kill people for a living. I've come to recognize that if I watch GH, this is what I'm getting.

Jason doing soul searching made him a little more interesting, but I didn't suddenly say to myself, "Ah, poor, misunderstood Jason. I feel so sorry for him."

The Lucky/Liz/Nicolas story is not different than anything I've seen on soap operas over the years. Most guys are painted as stupid when the women they love are pulling a fast one on them.

And even with Lulu's speech, I don't see Sonny in a heroic light. I see Lulu as being as purposely oblivious to everything around her for the sake of the plot. But that's just my POV.

• Members

People on the show have been saying what Lulu says for 10 years now, or longer. It's a Guza trait. Dante is the one who is supposed to be oblivious, or at least I think he is. He's supposed to be so wrapped up in his easy, comfortable world of right and wrong that he doesn't know what Lulu, and everyone else (including his mother) knows -- Sonny is a good man.

Lucky has been painted as stupid for years. They've repeatedly said everything about him, being with Liz, being a cop, raising Liz's children, make him a fool. This has simmered during the years the show didn't care about Lucky, but now that golden boy JJ is back, I think it will explode.

• Members

I saw the GV version of Lucky in one or two episodes and he wasn't on screen that much. This new Lucky (or old Lucky) is my introduction to the character. I still don't have a fix on who he is yet.

I'm still getting familiar with the hallmarks of Guza's writing. One major criticism I have of GH isn't about characters, it's about storytelling. Events, the show does well, but the in between events writing ain't so great. I've seen some great individual episodes, good performances, but storylines, it's like they don't want to play all of the beats of a story or they drop them. Really odd.

• Members

GV's Lucky was written as a loser and a patsy. Now that JJ is back, they are probably breaking him out of that. He will become a monster, like many of the other "heroes" on the show.

I am very cynical about GH. I feel like I have seen a lot of the current stories, and the half-a$$ed attempts at showing any negativity towards the mobsters, quite a few times over the years. It never lasts. Even Sonny shooting his wife in the head after she gave birth was something which somehow made him a victim.

I know as a new viewer it's a very different perspective. So for that reason, the ratings may go up, with the publicity about Franco. It's too bad the stories are, in my opinion, so wretched, as that may prevent bigger increases.

• Members

Obviously you and I aren't the viewers they want. I've watched characters on this show portrayed consistantly for years, the mob never changes, Sonny and Jason never change, no one does. And the stories are rinse and repeat.

GH writes for actors not characters and that's why I detest it so much. There is no reason GV's Lucky couldn't have been written for or better and why Lucky the character suddenly gets better writing is a crock. Guza has his pet actors and that's who he writes for.

And I find the day to day writing pretty horrid along with the acting. There are moments occasionally when the actors bring it on. The newer actors are obviously better and try harder but established actors, well to me they are all lethargic. The last time the show really had me interesed was during the MC Crisis in Feb 2007. And there was about 3 or 4 months of decent story on the show leading up to it also. Since then something happened, I don't know what. And it hasn't been the same. Even now while I think the Franco story will be huge for them, I'm not expecting the story to be great or good in any form.

• Members

Categorized | Daytime TV Ratings, Network TV Press Releases

“Days of Our Lives” Matches Its Highest Women 18-49 Rating in 11 Months

Posted on 20 November 2009 by Robert Seidman

via press release:

‘DAYS OF OUR LIVES’ MATCHES ITS HIGHEST WOMEN 18-49 RATING IN 11 MONTHS AND HITS A NEW FIVE-MONTH HIGH AMONG WOMEN 18-34

THIS SEASON, ‘DAYS’ IS GENERATING ITS BIGGEST AUDIENCES IN WOMEN 18-49 AND TOTAL VIEWERS IN THREE YEARS

FOR THE ‘09-10 SEASON TO DATE, ‘DAYS’ IS DELIVERING THE BIGGEST YEAR-TO-YEAR GAIN OF ANY MAJOR-NET DAYTIME SERIES IN TOTAL VIEWERS AND WOMEN 18-49

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – November 20, 2009 – For the week of November 9-13, “Days of our Lives” (1.4 rating, 8 share among women 18-49, 1.1/7 among women 18-34) tied for #3 among network daytime series in women 18-49 rating and tied for #2 in the women 18-34 demo. “Days” matched its highest women 18-49 rating in 11 months (since the week of December 8-12, 2008) and delivered its highest women 18-34 rating in five months (since the week of June 8-12). Note that “Days” was preempted in several markets on Tuesday due to coverage of the memorial service at Fort Hood.

Compared with the same week last year, “Days” was up 14 percent last week in total viewers (3.1 million vs. 2.7 million).

Season to date, “Days” is tied for #2 in the women 18-49 race and the women 18-34 category.

“Days” is delivering its biggest audiences at this point in the season in three years among women 18-49 and total viewers.

Season to date, “Days” is up 9 percent in women 18-49 (979,000 vs. 899,000), up 12 percent in women 25-54 (1.062 million vs. 945,000) and up 14 percent in total viewers (3.1 million vs. 2.7 million). “Days” is generating the biggest year-to-year gains for any daytime series on any major network in total viewers and

TV By the Numbers

• Members

True, it is different for me as a viewer than longtime viewers. I had more than a few people "warn" me about GH and Guza. But I decided to watch anyway because I wanted to try something different -- who knows why..

I'm not a total newbie - I watched GH back in the late 70's, early 80's when I was a teenager, but that was a lifetime ago.

As far as James Franco goes, while I'm a fan of the actor -- I thought he was wonderful in "Milk" -- I'm not particularly excited about his story. My only hope is that the story leads to something interesting.

The ratings for GH aren't setting the world on fire by any means and they won't until they get the storytelling together.

Just saw the press release for Days. That's great news for the show. They've earned those ratings.

Archived