GH: November Discussion Thread

• Members

Y do you all still watch this show? It is so dark, dismal, and the characters that I once knew are no longer recognizable. Is it the overall acting? I don't know it's hard for me to go back. After the excitement of Claudia's climax I tuned out again (couldn't wait for J Franco's arrival). This was such a good character driven soap in every way to me, now.... I just feel as if I'm trying to grasp a concept based in sensionalistic mob scenes ,and it's now a show of no hope. I hoped these discussions would offer some sort of insight but while I'm relating to the feeling I'm wondering what good is left?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's all sensalsionalism. Events bring people back to the show for short periods of time and then they leave again. I watched the Claudia stuff. I didn't care about Jonathan Jackson returning. I think the story he's walking into is a complete clusterfeck and I think there's going to be a lot of backlash if and when they have the love of his life Elizabeth choose and favor Lucky's brother over him. A lot of LL2 fans who might have come back to the show for original recipt Liz and Lucky will probably be disappointed.

But Sarah Brown's acting was worth it. The rest of the cast to me was and still is subpar but she sold the story even as more of a supporting character in it. After years of not liking her version of Carly and almost 2 years of vile Claudia, I actually found her compelling her last couple of weeks and she's got me interested enough to follow her to B&B now to see her character there.

I haven't continued watching. I found most of last week after her death pretty lackluster and I won't be watching again until JF starts and I suspect we won't see him too much. But that's the problem with GH. They have these big sweeps events that bring in viewers that end up not sticking around.

• Members

Okay my post accidentally got erased so here i go again...

as i much as I'm liking Gh as of late, I've got to say that many of the central characters are acting very hypocritical. It's just weird and irritating that Carly is pissed with Jax and Olivia about keeping the secret but easily forgives Jason for doing the same thing. She even goes so far as to say she understands why he did it. But then goes on to say that she doesn't get why Jax kept it from her. Why is it okay for her best friend to keep the secret but not her husband. They both did the same thing. And then there's Sonny who is crapping on Jax, accusing him of protecting his brother, but then excuses Johnny for protecting his sister. Again they did the same thing. It's funny how this is being played out considering that Jax is one of my fave characters & still is. (Johnny is actually my favorite character on this show). On a sidenote I've gotta say that Carly and Sonny are awful parents. I get that they wouldn't want to turn Michael in to the police but behaving like what Michael did as excusable is not okay. They are letting their son silently suffer, inevetably causing a mental or psychotic break in his future. And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Michael already a murderer? Didn't he kill AJ?

If not who did??

• Members

Which is why people are disgusted with GH. It's the SSDD. I could have predicted Jax was going to take it up the *ss because the character always does no matter how ridiculous it is. Sonny even told MyKill by the way he was proud of him. Lord. And as much as GH had to re-write it due to backlash, Michael still killed AJ or at least attempted to. He smothered him with a pillow. They re-write it so a doctor(the psychologist) injected him with what actually killed him. Doesn't change the fact that Michael smothered him.

It's why I am no longer a consistant watcher. The same people get excused for their actions and the same people get lambasted. It's SSDD on this show. And Michael will end up as the next jason on GH, the new antihero.

• Members

Usually I like dark but only if the writing is good and generally when character driven with good storytelling, when I watch GH I get the feeling it is written to justify these specific characters at all costs. I don't know I can't get into Sonny or Luke or Jason who are the mainstays.

• Members

None of these characters IMO have been at all interesting for years. Sonny and Jason continue to be the good mobsters who never pay and who's every action gets justified. Luke has been a drunk and deadbeat for the last few years. If you enjoy these things, you will like GH.

• Administrator

I'm on par with you. I'm on a GH break until the James Franco episodes. I can't watch this show for a long period of time because it's such a soul-sucking show and it makes me feel bad. I can only take small doses of GH at a time and watching 5 straight episodes is enough.

• Members

GH was never my soap. That was AMC for years. I watched other soaps in chucks when I got interested in a storyline but AMC I never gave up on. GH became that for me in the 90's. There was so much to enjoy then and maybe it was because it was Claire Labine writing and her stories had a social aspect to them as IMO AMC had for years. I think that's what drew me to GH as a dedicated viewer. Her 2 staple stories were BJ's heart and the Aids storyline with Stone and Robin and they were both terrific. But there was also great Spencer, Quartermaine, and yeah later some mob stuff with Sonny mixed in. But I honestly don't know why people felt GH was so dark and depressing then. To me the show had heart. Maybe longtime fans craved for the action packed Robert and Luke and the WSB stuff who knows.

The GH of the last several years is darker and more depressing than ever. They now insert ridiculous characters like Spinelli, add Karaoke to lighten things up but that lasts for what a day and it's back to dark and depressing storylines surrounding the mob and pretty much everyone else. The show depresses me and this 2 years of Claudia following a year of legacy characters offed I think pushed me to my limit and why I just can't watch anymore. I've tried going back to AMC but that show has become almost the same as GH in a way.

I'm actually enjoying Days now and am going to tune into B&B to watch Sarah Brown. I never thought I'd say that but she kind of won me over with her effort at GH her last week or so. She turned an awful awful badly written arc into something watchable due to her performance and I respect her for that. I watched Jonathan Jackson and I'm just not as bowled over as many seem to be. Yeah he's Lucky and he's back but Lucky's been on GH for the last 10 years. I'm glad if he's caused some to return to the show and enjoy it again.

• Members

Watched the episodes surrounding Claudia's death... phenomenal! Drew Garrett is such a find as Michael, his acting is incredible and he really has me invested in his scenes. Even Maurice brought his A-game in their scenes together.

• Members

You are joking me. We know they have shot a new open. We know they have shot Jonathan Jackson for it (he had a posed shot at the end of the promo advertising his return). There are no other big casting changes to wait for now. WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY SMOKING AT GH? Just send me the shots and I'll do the thing myself if it's such a big deal.

• Members

Thing is, it's not that hard to update these things, especially with all the technology available these days. That's why B&B and OLTL can update their openings on a whim and AMC is pretty regular with theirs as well. GH (like Y&R) is just lazy when it comes to it.

Archived