ABC addresses OLTL cancellation rumors

Doyen

• Members

From soaps.com:

Fans have been in an uproar since a rumor stating that One Life to Live was going to be canceled in 2010 swept the internet. However, to calm the fears of fans, and our Soaps.com readers who have posted with worry on our message board, an ABC Daytime Spokesperson has told Soaps.com…

"The only upcoming move 'One Life To Live' is making is to the 'All My Children' stage after that series relocates to Los Angeles. This will give 'One Life To Live' more room and increase their production value."

So you see, fans, there is no reason to worry about the show's cancellation, as the network is making an obvious move to help the show continue to prosper.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, it is a cover-up. As Nelson has said elsewhere in the past, sometimes he puts "out there" rumors with heat, knowing there will be denials, because he is trying to prevent certain things from being done in private. It is his hope, he has said, that by revealing the 'secret plan', he may in some small way be able to head it off at the pass.

At this point, any idiot can look at the fact that they didn't move OLTL and make some sense out of that. It is OBVIOUS that OLTL is in some way "special" here. It is also obvious that Frons is trying to position the ABC daypart/Soapnet out of traditional soaps.

The ABC press release is truthful, though, in the sense that the decision to shutter OLTL has not yet been officially made. But that decision is CLEARLY on the docket. It is clear that ABC has been toying with decimating the heart of the show for some time now. Witness the hard-knuckled negotiations with both Slezak and Strasser.

OLTL is not safe. To the extent that advocacy helps (it doesn't...new young eyeballs are the only think that helps--young women who watch live), it is worthwhile to shine the light on the real agenda.

• Members

Nelson would have done a better job at shining the light if he had not given a list of people moving to AMC who would never, ever be brought to AMC. That's like if I went around saying B&B was going to be canned and they were going to make Pam and Jackie the stars of Y&R.

Frons obviously dislikes OLTL and the worse AMC gets, the more he protects it, so it's just a matter of time before OLTL is gone. AMC and GH continue to freefall and get feted for it. If they ever stop sucking they will probably be canceled.

• Members

Sadly, you're right, Mark. However, the sheer arrogance Nelson has, believing anything he prints will cut a move like this off at the pass, is what astounds me. How in the world will Nelson revealing this a year before anything happens stop anything?! So everyone who is already watching writes letters, some people give up watching because they believe it's a lost cause, ratings still don't go up, and all he did was spread the word faster so more people stop watching.

I really wish somebody would knock him off his axle. He's hurting the very industry he claims to love so much, all in the name of "becoming the news" rather than reporting it.

• Members

Plus the constant desperate shrieking, "WATCH THE SHOW! PLEASE WATCH THE SHOW!!" is annoying bordering on creepy. It's like those people who come to your house to sell you magazines or discuss your personal relationship with Jesus. Not only do you not want to talk to them, you want to turn a hose on them.

• Members

You're right, of course. But I confess I kind of like that he is exposing the bullsh!t. I kind of like that--maybe--there is one source that won't be coddled by a 'special' relationship with TPTB. (Except with Y&R of course :lol: ).

I would buy that "people stop watching" bit...except I continue to sit with my jaw to the floor at DOOL. It seemed to be CERTAIN for cancellation (network execs said so), but then it bounced back--and it has shown 12-month stability that is presently unheard of in this industry.

Damn, you always know how to make me laugh! The problem is this: OLTL is one of the few shows right now that is taking some intriguing risks. It is often as superficial as parchment (indeed, I find myself rolling my eyes at Strasser these days--I've lost my grip on the central reality of this character's motivations and emotions), but it is interesting and has some cohesive tales. It is grounded largely in family and love (after a fashion). These are good things. It is also presently best pushing the envelope on GLBT issues (and yes, that matters to NB and others). So I can see why he's railing against the injustice of poorer shows being canned after OLTL.

But I agree. He occupies this strange hybrid niche of reporter/gossip columnist/critic/cheerleader/small-fishtank celebrity. It is hard to pin him down. I confess though that three times a week I rush to his site for sheer entertainment. There is no one else providing that level of passion in daytime reporting/editorializing.

• Members

The magic of Public Relations.

That statement is a cover up. Yes, OLTL is moving on AMC soundstage. But is OLTL moving off the air waves in less than 2 years? Most definitely. Just like AMC wasn't moving to LA, now it is. Just like all of AMC's actors contracts would be honored. Now there not! I smell a dead mouse coming from the Mouse Network!

Archived