Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It was...weird seeing Amy Ames as Carolee, to be honest. If the original actor/actress is perfect in a part, it's always somewhat jarring to see a replacement, no matter how good the second performer is. I did accept JR on The Doctors as time went by. She's an inherently likeable actress.

• Members

Now that I've been watching the Doctors and seeing more of the original MJ's work... I have to wonder if the Dobson's looked at MJ as an inspiration for when they created Katie Parker?  

MJ is an attractive twenty something, sweet, good natured, and willing to step aside to let someone get the guy (and from what I read on the last years of the Doctors).. didn't have much luck with the guys (a loser in love)... and was a nurse

Katie started as an attractive twenty something, sweet, good natured, and also willing to step aside to let someone get the guy, also had lousy luck with love, and was a nurse.   

Plus, both were likable and funny.

• Members

My mom and all of her girlfriends in the 70s loved Katie and also loved her friendship with Hilary.  They were relatable as twenty something nurses channeling the dating and working world.  

With that said, you're the first person I've ever talked to that loathed her character LOL  Do tell what about her did you dislike?

• Members

Oh wait a moment, I was having a senior moment! I totally apologize, it was not Katie Parker I despised. I actually adored her. I responded too quickly, without actually thinking first. A by-product of being ancient, I suppose. Forgive me. In my side-tracked state, I got Katie Parker confused with Lesley Ann Monroe, who came aboard much later. I am sooooo embarrassed. I would erase my initial comment if you had not already replied to it. I am off to walk slowly down the Hall of Shame.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Allen Potter was the producer at GL when Katie Parker was introduced, but long gone from "The Doctors" when MJ was created. That said I do believe that some GL characters were inspired by creations on other shows he produced previously....

• Members

IMHO, Stewart and Rodell clicked much better on screen and had a natural-looking and affectionate chemistry. I wouldn't say the interaction was noticeably awkward between Adams and Stewart, but with DS, I always felt LA was...acting, and that there was more of a slight aloofness there. I think Leslie might have lasted much longer if Rodell had remained on TGL.

• Members

So, how were Adams and Stewart when the show first started thinking about pairing them together (I believe that was either 1969 or 1970)? Was it the same as when Adams came back in 1973, or were Stewart and Adams more affectionate to start with? I'm just trying to imagine the show deciding to bring Mike and Leslie together as a couple (which would immediately add conflict in the Bauer and Jackson families), but the actors not having any chemistry.

• Members

I think story mechanics more than warm romantic chemistry may have been the writers' reason for pairing Leslie and Mike originally. It precipitated so much drama. LA and DS were fine as a couple, don't get me wrong, but it was only after Rodell took over as Leslie that I, personally, felt a genuine warmth and spark between the characters.