Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That was indeed Vanessa rocking a leather skirt! This came at the end of Pam Long's de "fusing," of Van after marrying Billy, where she just sat around in matronly dresses, took care of her baby and said "Oh Billy!" a lot. They finally put her back to work at least, dumb as that was.

So true about Wheeler cutting Jerry loose. At that time he was the Bert Bauer of the show, keeping it centered. One of Wheeler's stupidest moves to cut him and then keep Frankie D and Justin Deas!?!?!? Especially since he was the father of three kids (by the same wife no less) who could be aged into the "hawt," teens. Also, father of Dinah, etc. Just shows how Kriezman and Wheeler's obsession with Gush and the Coopers really did more damage then the budget cuts.

• Members

Some fun moments here with Alex and her attitude towards Blake, Harley ("Meals on Wheels waitress"), and her trying to keep Alan in line while looking out for Sonni. Great writing for Alex, and I love Bev's sarcasm and cool looks.

Poor Elizabeth Denehy - did Kids in the Hall get their inspiration for the Chicken Lady from her?

• Members

"Phillip grew up watching your....escapades, no wonder he is acting like this!" This is the Alex I love...Marj's Alex doesn't come close. God, Bev would have chewed Ron Raines and spit him back out on a regular basis. I remember not liking Daniel Pilon but I almost thought he was the "Real," Alan for a minute so I can see why they hired him. God I hated Marj's screeching, wimpy Alex....they should have just made her a new character.

• Members

Pilon seems to lack charisma, which basically made Alan what he was. I don't think Alan ever had that again after Bernau passed away.

I read on Youtube today that Beverlee tried to get them to hire Daniel Davis (who had played her crazy husband Eliot Carrington on Texas - later to be Niles the butler on The Nanny) as Alan after Bernau passed on. How do you think that would have been?

I saw Pilon from some soft-core Canadian anthology show, Bliss, around 2002, in some episode about swinging couples. He didn't show anything, but it was still kind of odd when I remembered he played Alan and then he was...doing that.

I love this clip. The comedy between Alex and Harley is fine but the best part is when Harley accidentally rips Alex's wedding dress to Eric, and Alex begins to talk about her lost love and how she had never felt that way again. Beverlee played that wistfulness so beautifully. Marj had her moments but generally she either didn't have those chances or didn't use them.

• Members

Alan in a soft corn flick...EWWWWW!!!! I do think that Pilon's voice matched CB's...RR..I don't know, he was so "Foghorn Leghorn," that he could never be considered a serious threat.

That clip in pure Alex...a snob, a bitch, funny sarcastic and then vunerable, and even able to apologize to someone. Marj's Alex was just a shrill harpy. Remember when the Spauldings actually had that great set? And remember when Rauch gave it to Carmen of all people???

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I liked the GL primetime special although that might have been because I watched when I loved the show so I was more innocent...

That 1980 caricature is very hit and miss...the artist has a fondness for chipmunk cheeks, and also seems to hate Amanda and Eve.

• Members

Who didn't hate Amanda and Eve???LOL!

I love those ads, that was at the time that CBS was pushing real hard for GL to be over the top 80s and compete with Dynasty and Dallas. The funny thing was ratings fell from a high of No 1 for GL when it was still a slightly over the top, but still family show!

I love the pic of Larkin Malloy, that was his friggen expression in every scene. I also love the second pic with Reva with a mullet and involving one of my favorite storylines, Sonni/Solita "Isolated one!!!" Man, Annie vs. Reva (which I loved also) held no candle to Sonni and Reva wrestling on a convent floor at Christmas!!! Now THAT's how you do over the top!

• Members

The Kyle head thing looked badly Photoshopped (not sure what it was called at the time).

Did you see any of the Lucille Wexler story? All I've ever seen was some of the earlier stuff, when she was just the old woman pretending to be ill. I always wanted to see her try to knife Jennifer/Jane Marie.

Have you seen this? You probably have, but it's always fun to post again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWI-A_4A2_w

• Members

Yeah, he did. That's all funny, or at least interesting, stuff - I especially love the scene with Bert. It was written by Marsha Clark, AKA Hillary.

Stephen was very handsome. It's too bad he didn't work out on AW. For a while I confused him with the guy who was in the first year of Newhart, Kirk. I'm not sure why.

I think he was GL's first young hunk.

• Members

This was written by the woman who played Hillary Bauer and I think they used a GL director and the GL sets and cast. This was done for a Christmas party.

That weird scene with Katie I never understood, until I read that to hide her pregnancy they had had her eat all the time.

The stuff with Sara is pretty fun too.