Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I do agree that Marland wasn't the end all, be all of head-writers. He had his strengths especially with writing a community and being able to be a great breakdown writer and pacing. However, he always wanted to introduce a lower income/working class family onto his show while also featuring a teen romance as well at the same time.

I think Marland's creation of the Reardon's was better then the Snyders at least at intergrating the family into the fabric of the show.

Plus, I thought Pam Long wrote the Reardon's just as good as Marland did. I do agree she didn't quite get Nola/Quint.. but in her defense, they were kind of losing their uniqueness before she'd shown up to be head-writer. Though I think she wrote Nola way better then she did Quint. Plus, she gave Tony more layers as well.

If what you said about the actress not agreeing with Hope being an alcoholic is true.. then I can see why she was fired. Hope being an alcoholic totally made sense given the toxic state of her marriage to Alan and having a young child causing her stress. Plus, her uncle and grandfather were alcoholics.. and addiction is genetic as well as environmental. I think Pam Long had a great handle on Hope's character, and I forsaw having a War of the Roses story brewing between Alan/Hope.. and I could have easily seen Alexandra being an ally against Hope especially if Alan was threatening to keep Alan Michael from her.

You also mentioned the actress playing Hilary having writing aspirations?? Did the actress want to write on the show, or was she trying to dictate story? It looked like the show flirted with Fletcher/Hilary.. as well as hint at a Tony/Annabelle/Jim/Hilary quadangle before Hilary was killed off. Killing Hillary kind of doomed Jim's character and he was written off a few short months later (or did the actor choose to leave). It's a shame the show killed Hillary because she would have been useful in 1988/1989 when Roger/Holly came back into the picture due to her ties to them.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11v5bTW_JqM

Was Eve trying for a Didi Conn lookalike contest?

So Rita, like Morgan a year later, was undone by lying over stolen jewelry. I wonder if Marland was trying to warn ladies.

Alan is terrible at hiding his affairs. Wow. He's lucky Diane was so in love with him she couldn't see the obvious. Why did she even think he was talking to Rita?

Nice to see Rita. I almost forgot who she was at first as it had been a while. This must be the closest material to her exit that has been on Youtube.

Nola's scheming is so inept. You have to go to dinner with me and my mom because...I dunno, it's bad and awful if you don't!

Morgan looks so young here.

Vanessa is in fiddle-dee-dee wardrobe mode. And Joe's hair is too long. I had no idea Ed and Vanessa were close at this point.

• Members

Here are parts 2 & 3, Carl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKDjxWmNBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XKC9MK3PM

Maybe I am overprotective of Nola but I can't stand Hilary and Katie. Or Kelly and that drip, Morgan. So glad that Nola went on to become Mrs. Chamberlain while the rest of them went on to do nothing. Kelly left town alone after Claire broke his heart. Morgan left without Kelly after being deemed a harlot. Katie faded into irrelevancy. Hilary was blown to smithereens. :P Floyd went to prison.

*sighs*

Nola is WINNING. :lol:wub.png

• Members

Can anyone tell who is doing the VO for this episode? It's not the usual guy.

Milette Alexander is such a great actress - I love Sara's shock when Nola says she's been lovers with Kelly for months.

I like Hilary and Katie but I don't care for all the Nola focus. It's just repetitive and one-note. And it's distracting, because at this time Katie was with a man who beat her, yet she's still just given material talking about Nola. I can see why Denise Pence was not happy by this point.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

She mentions it briefly in the third clip. This is one of the things Denise Pence was unhappy with as she thought it made Katie a miserable character.

Andy was so ridiculously arrogant and nasty. In a way kind of a waste of a Norris. I'm glad they didn't go the same route with Ross, even if Jerry ver Dorn plays sleazy well (and I like his hair here...)

I love the work from Geraldine Court (Jennifer) when she leaves Morgan's hospital room.

Alan and Rita seem oddly chaste. 

• Members

Ben gives Ross a beatdown, and Eve gets a beatdown from her doily! Dangerous times at the Copper Lantern.

I guess this is more typical of the era but Katie and Hilary both seem a little blase about Andy being violent toward Katie.

I love Vanessa but she's so artificially twee at this point it's amazing Ed didn't see through it.

Steven Jackson! I wonder if this was his last appearance.

Alan and Rita seem so oddly detached, especially since both of their marriages were blown up over this.

• Members

Did Rick in later years ever bring up his grandfather or any of his Jackson roots? Was it mentioned that Dr. Jackson had passed onscreen?

Speaking of Alan and Hope's affair, I still hate that Gus was not Rita's son. It would've stuck to the canon and would've opened up so many possibilities. Rita returning at that time would've given Ed, Alan, and even Holly so much to do.