The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have just become aware of a very short-lived revival of Now You See It on CBS Daytime, hosted by Los Angeles news anchor Chuck Henry. This version aired at 10:30 A.M. and only ran from 4/3/89-7/14/89. (It was preceded by Card Sharks and succeeded by Wheel of Fortune, which had been cancelled by NBC.)

In this episode, teams from Y&R, B&B, DOOL, and GH play for charity. Much of the show is dominated by Melody Thomas Scott and Joanna Johnson. (By the way, I had forgotten just how frequently Melody appeared on game shows in the 80s. I assume she holds the record for most game show appearances by a soap star.)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NyzayPPLoT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nCSbhZLxwMA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

WOW I never realized THIS thread was here!

Question, any fans of the classic Peter Tomarken version of "Press Your Luck" (NOT that piss-poor remake GSN did in '02) or of the original 1984-1990 version of Scrabble with Chuck Woolery (Sorry guys, but the 1993 remake just LOOKED cheap!)... loved watching those on USA in the 1990's and I was psyched when GSN got PYL in 2001... still disappointed about them dropping it in 2009 though...

• Members

I always enjoyed Press Your Luck, even though it was nerve-wracking.

My all time favorite game show was NBC's Sale of the Century. I haven't seen it in years but I was just so fascinated at the time.

I also liked Classic Concentration.

I've never been a fan of the big game shows.

• Members

I'm with you about Sale... there are a few episodes of it on YouTube... look for user MittDawson, who was an actual staff member of the show (and his name CAN BE SEEN in the credit crawl of the NBC finale, which aired on March 24, 1989 on NBC, which he has uploaded in its entirety on his page!)

And FYI, the reason I so distinctly remember the final airdate for NBC's Sale in 1989, is that another great game, "Super Password" from Mark Goodson Productions, aired its final show that same day on NBC

• Members

@MissLlanviewPA:

I ain't gotta tell you anything... you're almost as big a game show nut as I am! ... y'know, I just MIGHT have the link for you... catch me in private for it, don't wanna to derail this thing TOO MUCH, right folks?

• Members

As a kid, I was thrilled whenever anyone hit a Whammy on Press Your Luck. I was also into Sale of the Century, it stinks the rights are so expensive, as I would enjoy seeing that again.

Archived