Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I heard a little while ago and still processing this. As a queer kid growing up, "Batman" was my favoirte superhero. I loved the Tim Burton films and later became enthralled with "Batman: The Animated Series" because it embraced the Burton aesthetic. Also, Kevin Conroy's voice was so perfect for the part. It meant a lot to me to later learn that he was an out gay man more than I can put into words. When the Pride comic book series came out this year, I bought it to read Conroy's story. It was very poignant. It actually hurts a bit because I wonder when he learned he was sick in reference to when he wrote that story. Also, for Conroy to be a gay man who survived the AIDS pandemic in his 20s, this seems cruel. It's hard to lose one of the queer elders. 

In terms of "Search for Tomorrow," Chase should have been such a mess, but Conroy kept the character together. His chemistry with Robert Curtis Brown was excellent. Conroy made Chase's guilt over his involvement in Rebecca's disappearance so heart wrenching even as he has a tendency to be self destructive. 

I will miss Conroy immensely. 

In his memory, I share this one which I'm sure I've posted before...

Edited by dc11786

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I posted about Irene Cara's death on the Love of Live blog.   Right before I did, I thought to myself that she may have been on Search for Tomorrow rather than Love of Life.   I checked under IMDb and saw that she played Daisy on Love of Life.    Her character on Search for Tomorrow may have not had a last name.    I am thinking that she played a girl that sang in an orphanage party.    This was just around the time that I was quitting Search for Tomorrow (for the first time), so I do not remember details.

Who did she play on Search for Tomorrow?

• Members

Sept 1967 Hartford Courant

17 Year 'Search' "Search for Tomorrow," television's longest - running daytime drama series, starring Mary Stuart as Joanne Tate, begins its 17th year on CBS Monday (Monday through Friday, 12:30-12:45 p.m.) The color series on that date will present its 4,171st episode; Miss Stuart, who has been with the program since its premiere, Sept. 3, 1951, will be seen in her 3,200th performance

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Susan Sarandon casually revealed that she’s bisexual and fluid during an appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.etroit 7, MI

The actress revealed her sexuality when making a joke about her beloved dogs on the US chat show.

She said: "My little creatures all passed away. I can’t talk about it because I still get upset. It was about a year ago.

"I was feeling sad and… I said, ‘I can’t get another dog. I just can’t,’ you know? And [my son] said, ‘Well, then get cats.’

She then declared: “And I’m bi, so…”

Sarandon and actor ex Tim Robbins share two sons, John Henry and Miles Robbins (Getty Images)
Sarandon and actor ex Tim Robbins share two sons, John Henry and Miles Robbins (Getty Images)© Provided by Evening Standard

Probing further, Fallon asked: “So you mean you like dogs and cats?”

To which the actress replied tongue-in-cheek: “I’m fluid, I’m very fluid where animals are concerned.”

This isn’t the first time Sarandon, who is believed to be single and shares sons John Henry and Miles Robbins with actor ex Tim Robbins, has spoken about her sexuality.

Speaking to Pride Source in 2017, she said: “My sexual orientation is up for grabs, I guess you could say. [It’s] open.”

She said on chat show The View two years earlier that someone’s gender, age or skin colour were not things she factored into attraction.

She said: “If there’s a person, I would leave open the age, the colour, the gender even. It increases your chances, doesn’t it?”

The star has been a longtime advocate for LGBTQ+ rights and is considered a gay icon.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Jon Michael Reed column Nov 11 1979

NEW YORK - There's something awfully fishy about the death of John Wyatt which occurred recently on "Search For Tomorrow'. It's no secret around the years  that headwriters Bill and Joyce Corrington don't have much fondness for most of the longer running characters  on the show. It's true that the Corringtons have done wonders by upgrading the show in the past year, but they've accomplished this by concentrating on new and younger characters They have said publicly that they would like nothing better than to move the show out of the fictional town of Henderson, where they'd line to leave all the old-time residents in mothballs.

The Corringtons simply have not written dynamic stories for most of the veterans of the show and there have been backstage rumbles of malcontent from performers who have been with the show for many years.

Val Dufour, who played  lawyer John Wyait  since 1972 won't  confirm or deny rumors of his dissatisfaction with way his character was developing or rather not developing.

'I simply thought it was time to call it a day', says Emmy award winning Val of his decision not to renew his contract,' I'm very sad about leaving, but the show has gone in different directions recently and I felt there wasn't much reason for me to stick around. At this point and  I feel grateful that shows sponsor Proctor and Gamble has been very good to me throughout the years , and I hope our relationship continues in another soap opera. But now I really want to vacation."

Val has reason to feel grateful to P&G.

The actor began his soap career in the 1950's in an early serial effort 'First Love'. In 1965 he portrayed the elegant villian Andre Lazer on Edge of Night, a P&G show. Then won acclaim for his portrayal of the charming but nefarious Walter Curtin on Another World, another P&G show.

Interestingly, says Val, fans still recognize more readily as Walter than they do as John, which isn't surprising as John has been out of the Search story limelight for many of Val's years on the show.

The fishy aspect  of John's demise lies in the fact that the writers chose chose to get rid of the character midweek. Usually the death of a major character occurs on a cliff-hanging Friday after a long stretch of suspense. Although John Wyatt went out with "a bang" from a gun, he really went out with a whimper a long, long time ago.

Val never worked on a soap again P&G or otherwise. he tested for the role of Lars Bogars on AMC.

I don't really have an issue with SFT killing off John. The character had a 6 year run and went through a lot of story. He didn't really have any ties to other characters and signing the actor for another 3 years would have cost a lot.

That talk of the Corringtons wanting to drop all the vets and move from Henderson seems a bit of hype to me.

• Members

I'm not surprised at all to hear the Corringtons wanted to move SFT out of Henderson, although this is the first time I've seen it in writing. It seemed clear to me in 1978, the Corringtons would move the entire show to New Orleans, if they could. But I really do not believe they would have dropped all the vets.  I think they would have connected as many existing characters as possible to the Sentells and the Tourneurs, and then moved all of them to New Orleans.  Those who hadn't found a connection, or a logical reason to move to Louisiana, would have been left behind.  This is essentially what they did anyway, but without changing the show's location. 

Although I typically do not like big changes in soap operas, and I believe efforts to "modernize" soaps are rarely successful - I did enjoy the Corringtons' work on SFT, and I believe they rejuvenated the old show in ways no other writers could have.   

• Members

https://www.nytimes.com/1979/06/02/archives/a-retirement-home-that-retains-a-bit-of-hollywood-dazzle-names-not.html

I thought this was an interesting bit of trivia.  Dewitt Bodeen, a screenwriter who had been Val's lover in 1960s moved to the Motion Pictures Country Home (aka the movie retirement village) in 1979, the same year that Val left SFT.  I have no idea if they were still together, because Bodeen died in 1988 while Val died in Manhattan in 2000, but I thought it was an intriguing coincidence that might have gone unreported in 1979, even by JMR.

Edited by j swift