Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

For a half hour soap a lot was going on. In these May Sweeps episodes. Suzy & Cagney's wedding. TR and Sailor being terrorized by some sadistic thieving thug. Liza & Hogan giving into their combustible passion. Had no idea Sunny and Lloyd were chem tested. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, the episode featuring Sailor's heroic death. As well as Kate getting sick at Cagney & Suzy wedding is missing. Had no idea Danny Walton would be reintroduced in the form of John Loprieno in this episode. Loved that Liza and Hogan are just in lust with one another. Even though Sailor wasn't prominently featured during his all too brief run. I do feel bad for the characters demise. 

• Members

@Joseph If you are asking who cancelled Liza's flight, I believe that was either Aja Doyan or Rusty Sentell. I believe those are holiday episodes from 1982. At the time, Rusty wanted Aja to marry Travis because a stipulation of Rusty's former father-in-law's will left Rusty in charge of a trust for Travis' child. Since Liza had trouble conceiving, Rusty wanted Travis to marry Aja. To keep Liza and Travis apart, Rusty needed to keep them apart so he either made the call to the airline to cancel the flight or had Aja do it. Since I believe Liza was in New York visiting a recording artist or agent that Rusty has arranged, I think he would have cancelled the flight. 

• Members

I was watching some May 1985 episodes today. I believe I'm a little farther than the episodes that have been uploaded to YouTube so if you are watching those uploads and don't wish to be spoiled, you've been warned. 

There are little things that surprise me about this period. Particularly, how long some characters are around for. I didn't realize Justine Calvert was on through May 1985 nor did I realize that she got what resembled an exit. I thought that she, like Alec Kendall, just sort of fell off when the actress' contract expired. With that said, Leslie Stevens wasn't given a formal goodbye scene, but I do like to think that her final scene with Wendy and Quinn was rather suggestive with Quinn and Justine on top of the bed and Wendy under the bed and Justine's lack of shock that she was interupting a romantic moment. If Quinn invited her to join them, I wouldn't have been surprised. 

On a less salacious exit, I didn't realize Angela Bassett was still appearing as Selina McCulla into May 1985. I figured her final appearance was in April when Ryder was in the hospital. Though here she was again sending someone home from the clinic (possibly Sarah Whiting after her bout with smoke inhalation). 

I also am impressed that the show has immediately introduced two grandkids for Stu and Jo and thrown them into a triangles with the established crew. Both entrances are suppose to be exciting, but I find them both rather odd. John Loprieno's arrival as Danny Walton during the siege on the Sentell house is wildly over the top and Loprieno plays the excess. To be fair, the direction seems to rely on extreme, nearly frantic performance such as Jane Krawkowski's TR manically delivering her dialogue about her newfound love of fast cars and announcing to Lloyd that he too will die one day. I sorta miss the over the top line reading of A.E. Houseman poetry from earlier in this writing team's run. 

The romantic pieces have been fun. Liza and Hogan in the cave is great. I really enjoy the decision to lean into Hogan's chauvinism. I also like that they continue to play Liza as an outdoors woman without having to mention that Liza has gone camping with Stu for years. Liza and Hogan's no feelings love affair is delightful. I also love the fact that it is Hogan that seems to have caught feelings while Liza seems more remote in her feelings. Also, I adore Joe Lambie's version of Lloyd as this point even though its very different from Peter Haskell's and very different from the direction the character is heading. Lambie definitely allows Lloyd to show a romantic side that was more emotional and while still guarded like Haskell. With that said, the stronger chemistry, for me at least, is between Lambie and Marcia McCabe, who barely anyone knew how to use during the NBC run. Sunny is still on the sidelines, Hogan is still whining about a woman needing him romantically, and Liza remains deliciously complicated throughout it all.  

In terms of other fun couplings, I cannot help but love Quinn and Wendy. They are just fun. Their little painting in the bathtub scene is both flirty and hilarious when Wendy realizes the paint is permanent and she cannot get it off before Suzi's wedding. Also, the decision to make Quinn Stephanie's new secretary is delightful. I just love Stephanie's little comment about males taking on secretary roles. The show which was so dry for for so long has a levity to it that I appreciate even though the serious tone was also pretty strong at the tailend of Jeanne Glynn's run. 

Cagney and Suzi have one of the most bizarre weddings in soap history with Suzi's visions. It's a campy disaster. It dawned on me later when Suzi and Cagney recited their vows in front of Kate in the hospital just how bad the wedding itself was. I did like Kate and Suzi's talk about contraception and couldn't help but think of how that conversation would play out today. I love that Mayer Avila and Braxton's Kate is a over protective helicopter mother who crosses lines in the lives of her children. It's such a sharper characterization in the vein of early Maeve Ryan who I remember in the first year of the show telling Jillian Coleridge she (Maeve) would never accept her (Jill) as her daughter-in-law because in the eyes of God that would always be Delia. I also have come to really like Teri Eoff, and dare say I think I like her more now that I have liked Cynthia Gibb. Eoff just embodies that quiet strength that keeps Suzi from being wallpaper but not abrasive to offend Kate. I know there was some discussion about the show positioning Kate as the matriarch replacing Jo, but I don't see that. Kate's role is clearly antagonistic. I don't see Jo in that vein at all. 

With that said, one of my favorite moments at the wedding was when Suzi is becoming completely unhinged Stephanie and Jo, who have squabbled during the lead up to the wedding, unite and swarm Suzi with love without judgement in a rare moment of unity. It's really a beautiful thing. 

I forgot that Braxton and Avila Mayer reveal that the McCleary boys are all going by their middle names. Patrick (Hogan), Liam (Cagney), and Matthew (Quinn). I don't remember if that is continued beyond their run. In some ways, and I'm going to be dodging some bullets here, the McClearys are a better version of the Ryans because they are allowed to fight and not get along. 

By contrast, I feel like the Kendalls have begun to evolve in a different direction. TR is spiraling. Lambie's Lloyd is enjoyable but such a different character. There seems to be little purpose to Chase who one minute seems like he might be getting back together with Adair and later seems to be seeing a mixologist trainee and buying sports cars. I know they are putting Chase and Quinn in a rivalry, but Chase seems to be floating aimless. Adair as well. I also noticed for the first time that Susan Carey Lamm bares a resemblance (at least to me) to Maeve McGuire, the actress who would play Kate after Lamm was gone. I would have loved to see the two of them play opposite one another. 

I like the stuff with the Caldwell House. It definitely is a slow build and there are parts I like (the bits with Hibbard giving them grief) and parts I'm not super fond of (the fire), but overall I like it gives Jo and Stu a set piece that will keep them back in the thick of things and gives Jo a rather robust kitchen set which was never fully utilized to its domestic drama potential before the show becomes daytime's answer to "Miami Vice."

@dc11786 A wonderful assessment. Pretty much agree with everything.  I also got the vibe that Justine would've been down. For having a three-way with Quinn and Wendy. That makes me like her even more. Also, glad that Justine didn't just crease to exist. It's nice to know that Angela Bassett's Selena made a few more appearances. SFT was so STUPID to let AB go. Never knew that The McCleary brothers used their middle names. I'm pretty sure other HW didn't know this cool fact.

Edited by victoria foxton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Actor Robert LuPone has passed away.  He had played Tom Bergman #5 in 1983.

Bob LuPone, a Tony-nominated actor and the founder of the off-Broadway MCC Theatre, has died. He was 76. The brother of Patti LuPone had been on a three-year battle with pancreatic cancer.

“The MCC Theater community mourns the loss of our much loved and uniquely inspiring partner, colleague, and dear friend, Bob LuPone, who lived fearlessly and with great curiosity, good humor, a boundless passion for connection, and a whole lot of heart. We will miss him deeply and always,” read a statement from MCC.

LuPone was born on July 29th, 1946 in Brooklyn, New York to Angela Louise (known as Pat), a housewife, and Orlando Joseph LuPone, a school principal.

His passion for the arts began at an early age. In the sixth grade at his North Port, Long Island elementary school, he saw his younger sister Patti dance at a PTA Dance Concert in a colorful hula skirt. After he told his mother how badly he wanted to wear the skirt, she told him that if that’s what he wanted then he’d have to enroll in dance class, which he did the following year. He started by taking tap lessons after school before enrolling in the Martha Graham Studio, where he studied under Antony Tudor, José Limon and Graham herself, from ages 15 to 18.

LuPone got accepted to Juilliard after a friend suggested he audition, an audition that he improvised. He would graduate with a BFA in Dance in 1968.

In 1966, he landed his first job as part of the ensemble of The Pajama Game starring Liza Minnelli. His Broadway debut would happen in 1968 in Noel Coward’s Sweet Potato and would later on appear in Minnie’s Boys, The Rothschilds, and The Magic Show.

LuPone was cast as Al in A Chorus Line but when one of the actors departed the production, he asked to audition for the part of Zach, which he would land. This role led LuPone to score a Tony nomination for Best Featured Actor in a Musical. A Chorus Line opened at the Public Theater, before swiftly transferring to Broadway. The production was nominated for 12 Tony Awards at the 1976 ceremony.

While teaching an acting class at New York University, one of his students was Bernie Telsey, who together would form the Manhattan Class Company — known today as MCC Theatre.

LuPone, Telsey and Will Cantler successfully led MCC for nearly 40 years producing shows like Frozen, Hand to God, School Girls; or the African Mean Girls Play and the Pulitzer Prize-winning Wit.

While serving as a co-artistic director of MCC Theater, LuPone continued acting appearing in Broadway productions like A View from the Bridge, True West, and A Thousand Clowns. He was also in the Chicago premiere of Sam Shepard’s The Tooth of Crime and made television appearances on shows like The Sopranos, Sex & the City, Guiding Light and All My Children, for which he received a Daytime Emmy nomination.

LuPone is survived by his wife Virginia, his son Orlando, sister Patti, brother William

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Patricia Englund's character Dr. Jamie Larson was said to be Scott Phillips' half-sister. Did they ever clarify if she was related to his mother or his father? I find it interesting because, while Scott wasn't present, family members from both side were. Scott was Suzy Martin Wyatt's half-brother and Ellie Bergman was Scott's aunt or cousin on his mother's side. 

Also, I don't know if the episode is online or not, I think it isn't, but there is an episode set in San Marcos in October 1985 with a postal clerk. The actor credited is Tony Rivera, I think, but I'm pretty sure it is Tony Shaloub. Has anyone else considered this before?