Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Members

This week on PBS, a documentary about Joe Papp has been airing.   I am watching it as I post this.    Mr. Papp had a job on Search for Tomorrow.   I cannot remember which backstage job he had for a number of years, but it was mentioned in the autobiography of Mary Stuart, Both of Me.

This week on PBS, a documentary about Joe Papp has been airing.   I am watching it as I post this.    Mr. Papp had a job on Search for Tomorrow.   I cannot remember which backstage job he had for a number of years, but it was mentioned in the autobiography of Mary Stuart, Both of Me.

This documentary is a part of the American Masters series.

The late actress Olympia Dukakkis, who appeared on Search for Tomorrow, was one of the people interviewed.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Actor/singer/television game show host Adam Wade played John Burroughs on Search for Tomorrow in 1970.   He has passed away.   He had battled Parkinson’s disease. His death was announced by his family and friends via Facebook.  He was 87 years old.Adam Wade (1964).png

The seeds for Hogan & Liza's romance are plant in this episode. As Hogan returns to Henderson. For his brother's engagement party. I'm already not liking Sunny's desperation. Which was totally out of character for her. Not looking forward to Sunny's suicide attempt. Or the end of Sherry Mathis run. Hogan and Liza's sexy dance really showed their chemistry.

Edited by victoria foxton

Hogan and Liza's romance moved as such a breakneck speed. Due to Sherry Matthis impending departure. Instead of Suzy being superstitious. Suzy should've been suffering from PTS. After everything Warren put her through. Really hoping Suzy being superstitious and paranoid ends soon. Looks like Justine is on her way out. And young doomed Sarah is on her way. I wonder what plans the previous HW's had for Sailor? 

• Members

For all its flaws, I really enjoy 1985 and the three million different combinations of writers and producers who managed to navigate the show in a single year. The superstition story isn't my favorite and from one of the few periods I haven't really watched in depth yet (I really like Sailor and can't bare to see his final episodes). Cagney and Suzy were a hard couple to anchor the show around as Cagney was a hot head with few ambitions and Teri Eoff, while capable, was saddled with a version of Suzi was defined more by her relationship to others than any sense of inner self. Suzi going off the deep end would have been interesting or have Suzi rekindle her interest in social work. 

Justine as a foil for Suzi and Cagney bored me, but when they explored Justine's life outside going after Suzi, I appreciate Leslie Stevens more. The problem is the best version of Justine was really what I would have wanted for Wendy in terms of characterization. I don't mind Justine's exit. Sarah Whiting had more potential. Giving Jo a grandchild on the canvas was a smart move. Michelle Joyner was very green. I liked the original version of Sarah who was very sheltered and insecure moreso than Tomlin's take of Sarah as a schemer who only claimed to be a plain Jane. With that said, I was sorry to see Sarah murdered and more sorry that we weren't given the opportunity to see her funeral. 

I always imagined Sailor was intended for Liza. His first scenes, either right before or right after Erwin Nicholson's arrival as EP, he is seen in a business suit eyeing Liza from across the room. Then, the whole Sailor personality while secretly being the heir to a shipping fortune was very much in the mold of the origin story of Travis Sentell and his early romance with Liza. I suspect Glynn would have done Sailor / Liza / Lloyd / Stephanie.  

I agree that for all the high turnover SFT was watchable. Cagney & Suzy were SFT big supercouple for a year and half. After the whole saga with Warren. They just became supporting characters. So much could've been done with them. Justine was an offbeat and greyish character. With a bit of a comedic bent to her. Again, so much could've been done with her as well. The previous HW seemed like they were going to pair her with a roughish Quinn. I also liked Sarah too. Even though Michelle Joyner was green. She played Sarah quite well. Even when Tomlin alter the characterization. I hope the episodes keep coming. Very curious to see the infamous circus story. Even though a poster on this thread. Once said that even the lions looked bored. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Jeanne Glynn seemed to be toying with a couple different couplings towards the end. I definitely saw the Quinn / Justine chemistry test. They had also tested Justine with Chase when Adair was out of town in the winter of 1984/1985. Wendy seemed to be heading in Alec's direction. 

I thought the idea of Sarah as duplicitous was delicious given that she was Jo's granddaughter and playing Wendy as the more good girl in the situation was a fun twist. I've been watching the end of 1985 and Wendy's final days are tough. I hate Bela, but I do like the setup to the Wendy / Stephanie / Bela situation though I wonder if it wasn't in the cards to make Bela the serial killer. Lloyd Battista's Rivera wasn't even in town yet if I recall correctly. 

• Members

I Love that theme the Soap Promos had, I remember seeing a promo of Y&R about Dina's return to GC in 1983 with it, God it was just chilling!

Whatever happened to that adorable Mary Stuart Channel from Youtube? It started so good with so many great scenes i've never seen before, But hasn't posted anything in months, such a pity, a dream cut short

Now to Business: